Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Home Defense Ammo

Feedback Score

I have been told that the local police load a rifled slug first into their pump shotguns (Remington 870s), followed by 2 double ought buckshot shells and next, 2 number 6 shot-shells. If they have to fire the gun, these shells come out in reverse of the way they are loaded. It starts with the 2 shot shells, then 2 buckshots and last, the slug. This is in case the perp is so hopped up on drugs or something, that the bird shot can't stop him, the buckshot should. Then if all else fails, the slug should finish the job.
    I load my home defense Mossberg 500 that same way. If it works foe LEOs, it should work for me.

Feedback Score

I use Hornady Critical Defense 690 bar 00 buck. I also have some High Velocity Slugs but those are in a receiver mounted side saddle. I have had extensive shotgun training so I just drop a slug in if needed, kind of like a speed reload. Just my $.02 but I want to be absolutely positive whats coming out of the business end of my 870.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    I have a bunch of those Centurion 2inch 00shells. I think birdshot indoors in close quarters would be fine. Think frangibles.
    I use Remington 000. 8 pellets per round. I figure in a home defense situation I hope my family will be behind me, and I don't care about over penetration. I use an 18.5" Winchester 97 and have tried some of those Centurian buck and ball. I don't know why, but they are too tight in the chamber and jam the gun after they shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.