Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Ammo

Feedback Score

Default Home Defense Ammo

What does everybody here run as their home defense shells?

I have searched for a happy meduim but I just deided to go with Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck with some slugs mounted in a side saddle. I have been doing a lot of shotgun shooting as of recent and the Hornady Critical Duty is a hell of a shot shell, but it is 690 bar and the potential for overpenetration is defintely there.

I have tried #9 bird shot against skeet and paper and my worry about using that is stopping power.

Just curious what everybody else is using and why.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I have a bunch of those Centurion 2inch 00shells. I think birdshot indoors in close quarters would be fine. Think frangibles.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi Bud!

Assuming a pump gun that can do 5-8 shots:

First 3: Anything that has a good spread. Dove loads all the way up to Duck loads. Does not matter. Bang-Fall or not-if not; BANG- fall or not; if not; BANG.....The second three are 00buck. The last two are slugs.

IF the local LEs ask why you loaded that way, you say: That's what I had left over, and l loaded them into the shotgun in the order I picked them up in.....NO PRE-PLANNING!

The logic behind this is simple....

One intruder: Shot until he drops.

More than one intruder: Shot and each shot spreads to hit multiple targets even at 15 feet. Choose your follow up shots as needed.

Way back when the Tyranasaurus still roamed the earth (1981), they still issued 40MM rounds that were somewhere between Number 4 and single 0. These were intended for walking point in a heavy vegetation environment. Effective range was said to be 100 meters. On the range, we really enjoyed these rounds. You could shred a 3/4" sheet of plywood at 50 meters. Really impressive, and good spread too. Hurt like hell to shoot though. You wouldn't want to shoot more than two or three if you could avoid it.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Hi Bud!

Assuming a pump gun that can do 5-8 shots:

First 3: Anything that has a good spread. Dove loads all the way up to Duck loads. Does not matter. Bang-Fall or not-if not; BANG- fall or not; if not; BANG.....The second three are 00buck. The last two are slugs.

IF the local LEs ask why you loaded that way, you say:
    That sounds like a great idea. Not sure why you would have to explain the loading though.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

My first 3 are #4 buck, 000 follows behind w/ slugs in the side saddle.

That said, I have a friend who shot an intruder with 7 1/2 birdshot.
    One round, mid-torso at 12 feet away.
    Damn near cut the guy in half. DOA.

Feedback Score

Had an old timer show me how to make cut shells a few years back, but you would need a coach gun to fire those suckers off. Essentially a poor man's slug.

But yeah I had a tricked out 870 Police Magnum as the zombie/home invader gun. If I ever stack different loads and get asked why they were like that my response would be "because I didn't want to use up all my flachettes . But yeah all good input.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ddupleks seem to do the trick:

A slug with an extremely enormous impact effect. When hitting the body, the frontal part of the slug instantly increases from 18.5 to 36-38 mm in diameter – this is the largest slug expansion diameter ever known. It creates an entrance hole with a 3.5 cm diameter, hits powerfully with all its expansion area and disintegrates into six symmetric splinters. The splinter cone causes an extensive area of damage. The unified effect of a hydrodynamic and pneumatic shockwave inside the body, along with splinter damage, ensures an unique instant stopping effect with the Hexolit 32 slug, which provides good results even with imperfect hits.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Damn BB I think I am in love with a 12 gauge round. How does it feel to own the new shotgun thread???

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

How loud is that frikkin' thing.

Ever fired a 12 gauge inside of a bed room before? Absolutely deafening.

Things to consider.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

tanvil,,, I'd think if you,, Did,,, have to ever touch one off in a bedroom,, you'd be so busy with what was causing you to have to,, you'd never even notice the noise. Believe me.

I've dusted off the M60 inside buildings plenty of times back in the day,,, and I don't even remember any noise at all!! But then I had people shooting back at me so,,,, I didn't notice any noise!

Damn those dluplexs look pretty nasty,, I'll have to check out some gentian test with them,,, I use #2 lead shot 3 1/2" turkey loads for #1+2,,,, #4buck ,,,,00,, and 2 follow up slugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.