Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VEPR or SAIGA?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah I knew several guys that never filled the gap with anything and it held up fine. But the ugly gap was offensive.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If your going to solder with a flame, don't stuff steel wool into the barrels, it will burn
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Gainesville, Ga Prototype Services's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I wouldn't use steel wool at all. I bet there is a vent hole under the handguard, meaning the area between the barrels will always be exposed to air and moisture. The steel wool will rust quickly and start rust everywhere else. Plus, it will burn if the soldering flame gets to it. Soldering double barrels takes a fine touch. To be honest, I would find a cowboy gunsmith and send the barrels to him, then get the end nicely engraved. 10 guage doubles are not common and will keep the value if finished nicely. The epoxy would be my second choice. Whatever you do, add a drop or two of oil in the mentioned vent hole and let the barrels stand muzzle-down overnight. This will prevent rust, from the degreasing of the barrel in prep for the solder or epoxy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mr prototype is correct. From what I have read soldering doubles is tricky. Not that you couldnt do it, it just takes some practice. I used to visit an old school gunshop that did this kind of work. a guy brought in a double he had tried to solder and had the upper and lower ribs come lose for his troubles. The smith told me you have too clamp everything in place before applying heat. I would think that some heat stop paste would work in this case. Anyway, be sure to show us the finished gun.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Built like a tank, yet had decent balance.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

red-label??? i haven't drank that in years! i still remember the hangover though!

Feedback Score

I like both of them. I think that anybody would be happy with either. I have a Mossberg 500 combination, that is, 2 barrels, one is 18.5 inches long for home defense and the other is 28 inches long for hunting.
    One thing I have heard is- The Police in America favor the Remington but America's military uses tons of Mossbergs. I don't think that there is a lot of difference between them. I'll take either or both (if I get the chance).

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Either one will get the job done. the 870 has an edge in that adding mag capacity is easy, the Mossbergs are pretty much stuck at what ya bought. Lighter though. I would not feel undergunned with either one.

And yes, Remington quality and cost cutting measures could sure stand some improvements. Buy used, 10 years or older!

Agree with the Kernel. Could not have said it better. My only add is that the Mossberg has a more usable safety than the Remington.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Fabricated the piece and epoxied it in last night. Epoxy (JB-weld) dark grey rather than black- hoping it looks ok when I sand it down tonight. Figure it will be strong enough to engrave after the fact.

Feedback Score

Made a template from a barrel stamp and fabricated the plug from 5/16 steel (hand grinder then filed).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.