Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VEPR or SAIGA?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

not sure why exposed hammers would be "safer" I have a hammerless stoger coach gun it goes on safe when you open the barrels, its not my hd gun but an ok little gun. If i could change one thing about it it would be to change the extractors to ejectors

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3531 View Post
    not sure why exposed hammers would be "safer" I have a hammerless stoger coach gun it goes on safe when you open the barrels, its not my hd gun but an ok little gun. If i could change one thing about it it would be to change the extractors to ejectors
    Stoeger.... Enough said... The best bang for your buck... But I will still say get a pump gun.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3531 View Post
    It's safer because you have to cock each hammer manually before it can fire. I believe the technique usually used was the thumb cocked a hammer as it was being shouldered. Break action guns were usually carried broken open over the forearm to render them "safe" when walking.

They still have a place for people who are not "into" guns and do not take the time to practice or familiarize themselves with how they work. Almost anyone can figure out and remember a break open design, while pump guns and autos have a manual of arms that must be learned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have really come to enjoy my 500 here recently.
    Well built, easy to maintain, and a joy to shoot.

Feedback Score

My 18" win 97 doesn't kick that bad and six shots with my poor eyes is good. Next a pistol grip. It will still be over 26 inches.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm in hunter safety they teach that guns with a hammer or less safe as many people will let the hammer slip while cocking it an kaboom.

judging from the number of people who did this in my kids class on a unloaded 30-30 while learning to handel the gun I see there point . the instructor was very adamant about how a lever action was a poor choice for a beginner .

I have put a zillion rounds through a lot of different over under guns shooting trap an never had a issue . I have seen one discharge at the line that might have been a gun closing on cocking .

id be more concerned about a hammer catching on some thing an then droping on a round to be honest. I have heard of this happening on revolvers with one iover the barrel as well as autos were it was not half cocked .

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Unloading a 30-30 with frozen hands can get ugly. I think that's where most of the accidents happen.

Feedback Score

I do have a couple of pump action shotguns, and, one of them is my bedside companion. But, I guess it's caused by all the old western movies I used to watch; I like the coach gun. But, as reported earlier on this thread, the recoil might be more than I care to deal with.

Feedback Score

Coach gun? What are trying to do, rob a stagecoach?

Feedback Score

No, you use them to protect stage coaches. Do you have a stage coach? Me, neither!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.