Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: VEPR or SAIGA?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default VEPR or SAIGA?

That's the question. Both look good. I have a Saiga but am considering a VEPR conversion as well after my other gun "needs" and "wants" are satisfied.

I have seen a few Saiga conversions that look good like the Tromix version. May be in the market in the next few months.

Opinions, Experiences, etc. - any owners here?
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have two VEPRs, both have fit and finish that puts any Saiga I've seen to shame. However, one thing that may make conversion more difficult is that many of them are slant cut receivers (although square backs are becoming available).

I was going to turn my 5.45 into an RPK-74 cloe, but the factory wood is so gorgeous I'm likely to leave it alone. The 7.62x54R is waiting for the Ironwood SVD stock I have on order to show up.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I think you are talking about shoot gun, I like vepr 12 much better then Saiga 12. I own both and all other vepr and saiga, Vepr is much much better !

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Mossberg 500 or Rem 870

Which shotgun is the better home defense shotgun. Personally I've owned both but only kept the 870. The mossberg I had seemed cheaply made.

What do you think
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

I think the new 870's have gone down in quality-the old Wingmasters are where it's at!
    My 500 is about 10 years old and it is quite well made-it is currently doing HD duty here at the compound.

Either way, I can see good things about both, and bad things about both!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Either one will get the job done. the 870 has an edge in that adding mag capacity is easy, the Mossbergs are pretty much stuck at what ya bought. Lighter though. I would not feel undergunned with either one.

And yes, Remington quality and cost cutting measures could sure stand some improvements. Buy used, 10 years or older!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I like them both, but my preference is the 500 given the choice between the two.

Also take a look at the 590. They are well built. They are a good bit heavier but you'd only notice if you were carrying it for hunting.

The guys that prefer 870s always say that the 500s are rattle traps. The guys that prefer 500s know how to carry them so that they are quiet.

For the most part the 'cheap' impression of the Mossberg is from the loosely fitting charging bars that rattle if you don't keep your hand on them. That loose tolerance is your friend when it comes to reliability in harsh freezing hunting conditions.

I can say that in my entire life of being surrounded by Mossbergs, I have never had to repair one because they simply don't break.

To me , another advantage is the location and size of the slide release. With simple muscle memory, it is nice and easy to push in with heavy gloves while the 870 is a small button that is difficult to get to in a hurry.

You can up the capacity of an 870 by adding a tube extension while with the Mossberg, you are stuck with the capacity that you bought.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

ithica--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have owned both.
    My well used Wingmaster is my all time favorite.
    I can run it damn near as fast as a semi and it is far more reliable with different loads.
    Both are good to go, I like the Rem cross bolt safety for a pistol grip and the Mossy tang for traditional stock.

Shooter

Feedback Score

I say 870 but that's my preference. A Wingmaster is head over heels better than the express models. The 870 Express was Remington's answer to Mossberg's more economical pricing which is why the quality seems to be lacking a little when compared to the older 870's. The only thing I have seen wrong with them though is the polymer trigger guard and a less "Defined" ejection of spent casings.

I used 500's in the sandbox (we called it the "Key to the City") for rapid door removal, but I never liked it quite as much as the 870. If you have any LEO distributors nearby keep on the lookout. I got a "like new" 870 Police Magnum for $198 and Police Magnums are their top of the line "fighting gun" for lack of a better word.

I have used a Mossberg 500 to lower the clay pigeon population before and enjoyed it I just like a gun with a little more wieght to it and some good after market options for it.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.