Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which to buy?

Feedback Score

Please consider the 20 gauge. It will do the job just fine at busting clays, and i think you would be very surprised at what it might offer for hd when used with buckshot.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

This here is exactly what I want. I had my grand dads for many years until foolishly selling it along with his Savage model 99 in 250-3000.

I may bid on this one myself.

Winchester Model 12 16 Ga Shotgun Plain 26" 1939 : Pump Action Shotguns at GunBroker.com
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

I like the 16 gauge very much. My best day ever at skeet/trap was shot with a Remington model 11 in 16 gauge. I fell in love with that gun.

Used to, they said about the 16 gauge, "Kicks like a 20, hits like a 12". I think ammunition has come such a long way that there is now some crossover between 20 and 12 gauge capability. It's not without its limitations, but overlap is definitely there.

Unfortunately, as much as I like the 16 gauge, I believe the ammo market is going to crowd it out of availability. I think you will soon see it only available from the high-end ammo suppliers. Which is sad.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

When I get my model 12, I'm going to buy paper hulls & re- load

I loves me the smell of fresh shot paper shotgun shells.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd stay with 12ga and just buy the "rabbit loads." They're designed not to turn small game into confetti, with the side effect of they don't kick too badly.

Around here, 20ga is 2x the price of 12ga, and .410 are 3x or more. It's way cheaper to shoot 12ga if you plan on shooting much and don't reload.

If you do reload, a 20ga would make sense.

As for the shotgun itself... you know she really wants a Saiga-12 or Saiga-20. AK goodness, and shotshells too!

Feedback Score

Stoeger 12ga semi. Lots of different variations depending on the intended use but they all use the same Inertia Driven autoloader system. Nice guns.

Feedback Score

+2 on the sweet 16 choice...
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOL Seriously there is very limited 16 gauge shell choices an there never on sale or cheap . Your or not going to see many popular guns for sale either. Its a OK round but its pretty much obsolete. the reloading stuff for it is also limited and expensive especially on the used market.

Before you buy go look an see what shells cost an whats available.

I have a browning A5 in 16 an I don't shoot it because shells are expensive an it wont do what a 12 will .

Just get a 12 gauge an load it light , lots of commercial light trap loads, shells on sale. even short pest control loads, special purpose ammo, flares, tracer rounds,
    we have lots of kids an small women shooting 12s in our trap leagues .

Or get a 20 gauge . I buy shells here for abut the same as a 20 gage . walmart 4 packs are $22 same as 12 .

a 410 is IMO a experts gun . every one thinks there a kids gun . that might be true for rabbits or squirrel or rats but on birds you better be good. there no fun for trap an you better really b e good at sporting clays to use one . They have a light recoil for a reason an thats because they send very little shot down range. I consider my self A good shot an have been in the top 5 in our club for years an with a 410 I cant break 36 out of 50 an average about 30. my average with a 20 gauge is about 44. Its 46.5 with a 12 for a years shooting .
    A 410 even at 16 yards back is a real handicap

a 28 gauge is another option that has become popular an I see a lot of them used in sporting clays there much much better than a 410 . The 28 has real came killing usage on birds. there expensive to shoot an shells are hard to find some times .

For a Boy id buy a 12 if he's tough or bigger an let him grow into it starting with light loads. for a small women Id buy a 20 gauge in a 3 inch mag barrel. an it will work on all game . My Grandmother , Mom an sister all shoot or shot 20's.

I started with a Ithica m37 when I was 11 an shot it as my only shot gun well into my late 20's . I have never felt out gunned with it an once I learned to shoot it I could embarse most adults in Trap or the field > MY 12 year old shoots it now but he will be moving up to a 12 very soon once he is big enough I don't have to cut the stock down for him. The Ithaca was shortend 3" when I was small.

a 20 gauge will make you a better more careful shot a 410 will make you frustrated shot . a 16 an 28 will make you broke .

I propose another option if you by a double barrel
    get a 12 gauge an if the recoil is to much consider subcal insrts or barrel tubes . A bunch of guys have tubes for there skeet an trap guns to run other classes.

I have a set of inserts in 20 gauge for my trap gun they work surprisingly well.

Feedback Score

The main downer about the 16 gauge is that ammo is scarce and there aren't near as many different loads available. I think I would stick with the 12 or 20 because they are by far the most popular, therefore, the most versatile.

Feedback Score

I like my winchester 97 with a 18.5 " barrel. Having said that I would love to have a sxs coach gun with hammers. But remember you only have two shots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.