Thread: less than lethal shotgun shells

Feedback Score

Default less than lethal shotgun shells

Recently while perusing the Cheaper than Dirt catalog, I noticed a particular line of shotgun shells. This line is made by ALS Tecnologies. They call their line “Less Lethal Munitions.” They seem to be designed to take the fight out of others without killing them. I thought that I might talk about them here.

The Hydro Kinetic Impact Bag. This is a liquid filled projectile with marking capabilities for “behavior modification.” It is effective from 2 to 8 yards. $22.79

The Power Punch Bean Bag. Direct fires a 40 gram bean bag projectile for “behavior modification” at close range. It is effective from 7 to 20 yards. $16.49

The Rubber Fin Rocket. This one fires a 130 grain, 80 durometer projectile for use at farther and safer ranges. Its effective range is from 20 to 40 yards. $18.89

The Pen Prevent Bean Bag. This is the only stabilized bean bag available that produces a powerful and painful blunt impact. It is specially designed to be accurate and decrease the possibility of penetration. Effective range is from 7 to 20 yards. $24.19

Bore Thunder. This one is a noise maker that creates a bright flash accompanied by an extremely powerful concussive blast from the gun’s muzzle. It is used as a stun/diversionary tactic or an animal control device. $25.29

Door breacher. This frangible projectile is made from compressed, powdered copper and tin, and is used as an alternative to the battering ram. It can remove locks and hinges from doors constructed of up to 16 gauge steel. $23.69

All of these prices are for a box of 5 cartridges. These prices were correct in the May, 2012 catalog, #405

These might serve a purpose for some of you in a situation where you might figure that you don’t need to use lethal force. I just thought that you might like to know that these are available.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quite honestly I prefer lethal. That person isn't going to sue you.
    Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score

I don't think that I have any use for these types of shells, but, I thought that they might be of interest to somebody. So, that's the reason I posted it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

the name is also misleading. Any of these can be lethal depending on where you his someone with them.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yep. Remember that teenage girl that got shot in the eye with a rubber bullet and died?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Which is exactly why you never want to use "less lethal" ammo for defense. ANY ammo can be lethal, so you are using lethal force anyway. When the fact you used ammo advertised as 'less lethal" comes up that sends the message you were not firing in fear of life or grave bodily harm, you were just trying to hurt or scare them. At that point you get rid of the only two justifications for using lethal force. Cops have immunity and can use force to effect arrests and such, so they have a use in their escalation of force charts.

Feedback Score

I am glad that I posted this. I was hoping for more comments. And, I figured that someone would see something that I did not. Kernelkrink did! I would never have thought of that angle. So, I think that this post was profitable for us.
    Actually, I think the cost of this specialized ammo is too high. I'd rather spend the money on regular ammo which runs around $6 to $10 for a box of 25.
    Thank you, kernelkrink.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Decent buckshot loads usually run a bit more than ten bucks a box. I bought a case of S&B 00 buck earlier this week @160 (ten boxes)
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score

That's still less than most of the shells I mentioned on my opening post. And, I like buckshot! I have a fair amount of it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I reload slugs into "bean bag " case's,,, prove I shot that slug instead of a bean bag!!!

The empty case's say,,,, bean bag!!! Gezzzzz,,, musta been mislabeled????

IMO,,, they = "less effective", it's been proved there not necessarily effective on meth heads and crack heads, so I'll stick to something that works if I need to defend myself,,,, thank you very much!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.