Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 pump shotgun

Feedback Score

Default Mossberg 590 pump shotgun

If you prefer a pump shotgun for self defense, I think that you would have a hard time coming up with something better than this:

Mossberg 590 shotgun with8-round magazine and a rifle-type ghost-ring sights

Here is the factory description of this weapon:

Type: Pump action shotgun
    Gauge: 12; 3" / 76 mm chamber
    Barrel length: 500 mm / 20" or 450 mm / 18" ismost common. others available.
    Magazine:underbarrel tube magazine, 8 rounds

Mossberg 590 was developed by O.F.Mossberg &sons company (USA) in the mid-1970s as a "military specifications" (adopted for US Military) modification of the Mossberg model 500 shotgun. "Militarization"included strenghtening of the receiver and other parts, installation ofthe vented heatshield around the barrel,bayonet lug and extended magazine, as well as an aluminum trigger guard instead of plastic one. Standard finish is Parkerizing, and the gun is usually provided with replacement pistol grip, which allows easy converion to 'Cruiser' modification and back. Since 1987 this shotgun is a standard equipmentof US Armed forces; while it was officially replaced in US Army with Benelli M1014 semi-automatic shotgun, Mossberg 590 shotguns are still widely used by US Navy and US Marine Corps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lots of bells and whistles and added expense that most people don't need in a shotgun IMO.

I like a basic M870 or M500 personally.

IMO

Feedback Score

I have the basic Mossberg 500 with a long and short barrel and I believe it will serve my needs.

Feedback Score

I have the cheapo Mossberg Maverick 88 with the long magazine tube. For the price you cant beat it. It was just a little more than half the price of the 500 at the time. The only thing I don't like about it is the really cheap safety. Feels and looks like something off of a bb gun and makes a loud click too. But for what it is and does it will do it's job.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Funny you should mention the 590's ,dario541,,,,,not that you haven't already mentioned every gun known to man lately ,,,,,,,,Ohhhhhh,,,, Mr Master of the cut and paste!!!!,,,,I think you got to much time on your hands old boy!! You need another hobby to keep ya busy.

But I've been looking at them lately and been thinking about a tac cool shotty for a bit and it looks like that might be the one for me. I've got my Mossy 500 camo turkey gun and a short barrel slug gun with rifle type sights, which would be all fine and dandy for 99% of my needs. BUT,,,,being the big kid I am,, one more for the collection couldn't really hurt,,,,Right???? Everybody now,,,,,,Right!!!! After all I've only got a couple three tac-cool guns, everything else I have is hunting and target stuff.

So what's the poop on them from someone that really has one?? Good ,,,Bad,,, indifferent,,,,, And don't say "get a Remington",, I wouldn't get one of those if it was the only gun out there,,,I hate Remington's,,,,,,almost as much as plastic pistols!!!! And you ALL know how much I love those,,,,@#%@*^*)*&$@! junks!!!!!

Sorry to abuse ya dario,,,, but someone has to do it!!! Might's just as well be me doing it!! After all,,,,,We want to make sure you don't feel left out of all of the fun here, ya know!!!!!

Lord Knows I get my share!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I upgraded one of my 500's using a 20" barrel and longer mag tube combo that Brownells used to carry. Worked great. The only other upgrade I did was to swap out the factory mag follower for an orange anodized aluminum one.

And of course it's all completely reversible if need be.
    Certified AR-15/M-16 Armorer / SIG Pistol Armorer

Feedback Score

Sorry to abuse ya dario,,,, but someone has to do it!!! Might's just as well be me doing it!! After all,,,,,We want to make sure you don't feel left out of all of the fun here, ya know!!!!!

You're right, TWA< It just as well be you. As I am retired, I don't have much to keep me busy right now. So, I entertain myself by trying to find things that might interest others.
    In a couple of months I'm heading up into the hills to check out my "bug-out" spot. I want to look it over and try to determine the best way to survive there if it ever becomes necessary. I have some ideas and I will post SOME of them when the time is right. Of course, operating with OPSEC, I din't want to tell Big Brrother everything, so, I have to keep some cards close to the vest. But, I am willing to share generic information.
    Anyhow, TWA, I read everything you (and the rest) post and I enjoy it. Please have a good day and don't hesitate to let me know if I get too far out of line!

Feedback Score

You're right, TWA. It just as well be you. As I am retired, I don't have much to keep me busy right now. So, I entertain myself by trying to find things that might interest others.
    In a couple of months I'm heading up into the hills to check out my "bug-out" spot. I want to look it over and try to determine the best way to survive there if it ever becomes necessary. I have some ideas and I will post SOME of them when the time is right. Of course, operating with OPSEC, I don't want to tell Big Brother everything, so, I have to keep some cards close to the vest. But, I am willing to share generic information.
    Anyhow, TWA, I read everything you (and the rest) post and I enjoy it. Please have a good day and don't hesitate to let me know if I get too far out of line!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Took my M590A1 out today shooting for the first time.

Shot like a regular pump shotgun. Nothing special there. I did like the sights although they were huge.

Wish it did NOT have the stupid bayo lug on it. Any idea how to put a light on this thing?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Took my M590A1 out today shooting for the first time.

Shot like a regular pump shotgun. Nothing special there. I did like the sights although they were huge.

Wish it did NOT have the stupid bayo lug on it. Any idea how to put a light on this thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.