Thread: Savage Stevens 520-Anyone Own One?

Feedback Score

Default Savage Stevens 520-Anyone Own One?

I won a Gunbroker Auction this weekend for a variation of the Savage Stevens 520 pump shotgun. Does anyone have one of these?

In researching it, I found that it was pressed into service as a riot/trench gun in WWII and it and its later 620 cousin also went to Vietnam. Another variation was the Stevens 77, which I gather was probably the most often seen shotgun in VN.

It was made by Savage/Stevens and was sold to Monkey Wards as the Western Field Model 30 (this is what I bought). They don't have any collector value, but sure look like workhorses! No disconnector, either, so it will slam fire if the trigger is held down. It is also designed as a take-down gun.

The one I bought has a 32" tube, but I am thinking of shortening it to 20" for an old-school lawman looking gun. Maybe.

This pump shotgun was designed by the master himself (JMB) in 1904 and has a very distinctive "double hump". Here's a receiver pic of mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Though they don't have a huge value now they may someday and I'd refrain from chopping anything. I don't recall if they have the removable barrel or not, but if so I'd find another barrel first myself. It is after all a Browning design, and you don't really see may of them around anymore.

If the gun is in good shape overall, I'd just send it out for a re-blue, clean up the stock and leave it at that. There's plenty of cheap shotties out there that will fill your 20" barrel needs for < $200. Worst case if there's some choke damage/muzzle damage,,,put a Cutts Compensator on it and keep it period. You see those around at shows occasionally cheap and they really work well, I wish they would manufacture them again, there old fashion but really sweat.

I had an old hump back police Browning that had one and with a 18" barrel and a ex full choke tube I was knocking down ducks and geese at 75-100 yards with it. What a handy blind gun that old girl was, compact but effective at range with the right choke/ shot combo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My favorite was the Ithaca model37 12ga pump gun. I bet there related.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

I have one of the humpback autos with a 30" barrel. It's a great shotgun! Browning wrote that he thought it was his most successful design.

I really, really like Ithaca 37s. I like the bottom eject, and the quality of the guns really hasn't changed in the last 75 years or so. They are really spendy here, though. Even the pawn shops will take used beaters and price them as new.

This particular slider is designed to be taken down, with the barrel and magazine assembly attached to a monoblock that comes out of the receiver.

I really haven't decided whether I want to chop mine or not. It wouldn't be so much a need as a want. I have a shorty barrel for my Mossberg 500, so it's not like it's a pressing need or anything.

As you can see, it is missing some parts (the ones I can see are missing are already on order),and I need to evaluate the gun before I do anything to it. Numrich has Polychokes on closeout right now for $10, so I might add one if I cut it. Depending on which way I go I'll either do a vintage hunter-style arrangement like this:

If I decide to chop it, or find a short barrel for it, it will end up as a very small package and would conceal well. Like this:

Here's a later version in trench form:

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.