Thread: GARAGE SALE STEVENS SXS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default GARAGE SALE STEVENS SXS

I found a basket case ( well it was in abox) Steven SXS at a garage sale this week end for $35 I figured what could I loose .

it had a really busted up original stock an a new replacement stock , Owner said only one barrel worked an it was missing some pieces, he said his son was going to fix it years ago an gave up an moved away .

Well It was missing three screws an had a stuck firing pin . I had to use philips heads under the fore end to attach the retaining plate an I found a sort of correct standard head screw for the trigger guard , I was able to free up the pin with out a total strip down of the action .

Its a Stevens 5100 made in 1941(I think if I read the date code right) it has the longest standard barrels offered an there 30 inch an choked full/full .

I have $35.11 into it an a good part of a Saturday . it goes bang now an Im going to try it out at trap tonight. the new stock is not checkered an the fore end is. The wood is a little proud of the receiver but its already stained with a oil finish the stock fits solid to the receiver so Im going to let it go as its not a expensive gun an the stock doesn't really match anyway . I will say its a all steel well machined firearm.

A few pics .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I bet numrich gun parts has all you need same with bobs parts, Dixie gunworks may have some also,

this will be a fun rebuild a real test of skill,for awhile I was picking up beat up H&R toppers, numrich had everything I needed, every one in the family has one in the closet
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Was going to say it would make a good snake charmer but the pics say restore.good catch!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I'm with Stalker1 on this SxS. Restore it! That stock will cost you another 3 hours tops to smooth down. You could try your hand at checkering as well. IIRC, the checkering on the fore end on those is not all that deep or complex. That one is a keeper or a seller for something that you really want. Let us know how it shoots.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hey bellson! Welcome. Since our dog got chomped on by the Shepard and getting better I've wondered about ms.Kensington. I hope she's doing well. Glad to see you back man. Can you guys do a CZ26 semi in California? Curious cause I don't really know. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Nice find! I wish I could find firearms at garage sales - never seem to get lucky though. If I had saw it, I would have bought it for that price.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well I shot it at my house about 8 times with no issues . I fired both barrels in opposite orders bumped it on a tree loaded to make sure it would not go off made sure the auto safety seems to work Ok great we have a winner .

So I get to the trap club tonight get on the line an when my turn comes I load a shell an close the action an it tries to blow a hole through the tap house WTF .
    now almost every time I close the action the LH barrel hammer trips .

pretty embarassing. an very unsafe .

I did manage a 47 out of 50 with the SKS over under but I was pretty shaken .

I think Ill take this one into a buddy whos a shot gun expert . People know I work on my own guns an having one go off like that was not cool . at least safe gun rules were followed an it was in a safe direction when loaded . thank god it did not go off while hunting .

the LH trigger is now super light an very very touchy . ??????

It shot a very tight group into the brick wall at 16 yards

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

sounds like the firing pin is stuck, and or the sear is worn on the trigger, I would remove the firing pin and spring inspect and clean them and the housing they sit in, then try again if it continues I would replace the trigger and/or sear.
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the sear is not holding when the gun is closed with any force . the pins are free I had to free the RH side .
    when I slam the action shot even emptry now the hammer drops even with the safety .
    I suspect the sear is worn or damaged.

Its a going to get parked for a while I have way to much going on . I know a old guy who is a real gunsmith an specializes on high end trap guns an other doubles I may have him just take a look at it . Lots of parts an springs in there .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Very nice find, congrats.

Numrich does have stuff listed for these so when your ready to have it fixed you have a good chance of getting parts.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.