Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ithaca 37 cleanup project

Feedback Score

Default Ithaca 37 cleanup project

Hey, all,

One of the other projects I've fallen into in the last year or so is an Ithaca 37. I know some here really like these, and I've come to love them a lot. I'm convinced there is no finer pump gun and fully understand why the new ones on the market right now command the money they do.

The stocks on these, from the '30's at least to the mid-50's, are hand-fitted and hand-checkered and make the gun handle like a fine double. They are works of art and are very sweet pieces of lumber.

One of the ones I have ended up with is a 1946 model. This one retains a forearm from the "prewar" guns, and is known as a transitional model by those in the know-it signifies a transition to guns that have a ringtail forearm instead of a "tootsie roll" forearm like this one, and some other minor changes-like a formed/stamped shell lifter instead of a three-piece machined and soldered shell lifter-this one had the machined one, but they were known to separate at the solder joint-Ithaca typically replaces these with the stamped variety (which is what I did in this case).

This one I got for cheap. The bad news about this gun is that the muzzle was cut and bead installed very very poorly. Was a full choke, is now cylinder bore. Bead is canted way, way off, and is going to require a repair to make it right.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the gun pre- and post-cleanup. Enjoy!

Before cleanup
    1946 1.JPG
    1946 2.JPG
    1946 3.JPG
    1946 4.JPG

These next two and the ones in the next post are after cleanup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Beautiful shotgun! My dad was a model 12 man but when I got my hands on an Ithaca....

Feedback Score

Thank! It was a very easy cleanup. This is going with me for opening weekend of dove season.

I removed the terrible bead and am going to try shooting it without a bead for awhile. I have the stuff to put a new one on but have discovered that I'm looking back at the bead on the skeet range, which causes misses. Bad habit. So will try without the bead for awhile.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Found one marked POLICE SPECIAL w/18.5" back in 1986 and found a 32" barrel to use at turkey shoots at the local K of C hall. Got hitched in 1991 and had to sell it to buy baby stuff. I would trade/sell my Mosey500 for one today.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Railbuggy wonder what it is about weddings babies and divorces that costs us our guns? You would think selling that wedding ring and getting a refund on that wedding certificate would cover it! LOL

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I assume yours is one of the so called "slam fire" models? That is to say, you hold on to the trigger and, as you pump, it will fire as soon as the bolt locks into place. I have a 30" barrel model that does exactly that. A cool feature that I have not found any good use for at this time.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score

Yes. This one does not have a disconnector-that happened in the 70s or 80s, as I recall. It will do the slam fire thing, but I've never tried it.

It got cut down to 28", so this one is real light and swings fast. Can't wait to shoot it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had a friend (RIP POFF) That carried a really cut down 37 on point In Vietnam. Said it would be empty before he could turn around! Don't think he was joking either even though he laughed.

Feedback Score

I believe it! The actions on these old guns are so slick it ain't even funny.

The only thing I've run across that I don't care for is they can be real picky about ammo. I havn't shot this one yet, but my other one appears to have a tight chamber and has had problems with most of the ammo I've run in it. I am about ready to take a hone to the chamber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.