Should I scoop up an AK-74 right now?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I scoop up an AK-74 right now?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Should I scoop up an AK-74 right now?

I've read in a couple of places where it has been rare in the past to be able to pick up the AK-74 parts kits. Is this a true statement? If it is, would you guys say it is wise to go ahead and pick one up now while there are still some around? I'm still working on my -63, but also want to take into any considerations if there are "special" parts kits out there that may not be there forever. Figured I could get some expert opinions from some of you guys who have been around for a while and been able to see the parts kits come and go.

edit: Forgot to ask about which company would be the best to get one from right now with all the problems seen with the trunnions. Centerfire, K-Var, and I think there were a couple of other places...gunthings.com.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by yosuthnmasa
    I've read in a couple of places where it has been rare in the past to be able to pick up the AK-74 parts kits. Is this a true statement? If it is, would you guys say it is wise to go ahead and pick one up now while there are still some around? I'm still working on my -63, but also want to take into any considerations if there are "special" parts kits out there that may not be there forever. Figured I could get some expert opinions from some of you guys who have been around for a while and been able to see the parts kits come and go.

edit: Forgot to ask about which company would be the best to get one from right now with all the problems seen with the trunnions. Centerfire, K-Var, and I think there were a couple of other places...gunthings.com.

I think either company is cool. I have both, but think Centerfire Systems (go through Lois) wins the ball game in quality. Just my 2 cents. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

well, if you do decide to get one, i would go with gunthings. the trunion wasn't messed up like my k-var,the furniture was nicer, and you get all of the accessories with it. they don't keep them and try to sell them to you.
    $229.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

So what about the advice on whether I should get one or not....based on their future availability?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by yosuthnmasa
    So what about the advice on whether I should get one or not....based on their future availability?
    I would definitely get one. The plug can be pulled on kits at any time by atf if they grant a permit or not. I picked up 2 kits from kvar with the russian plum furniture. Both are nice, One had a more nicked up trunion then the other but both will build just fine. my recent, received today kit had a bad trigger guard which I will have replaced by Kvar. The plum kits can be parted out for more then I paid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eldogg
    well, if you do decide to get one, i would go with gunthings. the trunion wasn't messed up like my k-var,the furniture was nicer, and you get all of the accessories with it. they don't keep them and try to sell them to you.
    $229.
    Ditto what eldogg said... same here for quality!!!!

Like everyone else said, you'll decide you want one, look back and cry when you realize you can't just order one. Believe me I know.

If you don't get one now, you'll be stuck with trying to find a kit someone just gives up on/cleans out closet/ etc. or whatever the 3rd party vendors have on hand. You can almost be guaranteed that FloridaGunWorks or some other company like that will still have them after "this shipment" dries up, albeit with a significantly higher price tag. It always becomes a "we cleaned out our warehouse and look what we found" sale. "Sale" will be a misnomer....

Look at it as an investment, and think of all the money you'll save by buying now!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

but also want to take into any considerations if there are "special" parts kits out there that may not be there forever.

My best guess at kits available right now that may dry up soon - not all AK's

#1 - HK G3 kits at FAC. If you think you might want to build a HK clone anytime, I think these kits are likely to be gone before too long. It has been a very long dry spell since HK kits in this condition have been available. I think HK kit availability is probably close to done for good.

#2 - Russian AK47 type III kits at northridge. This is the last of long running availability of demilled milled receiver AK47 kits. These are also in the most used shape. The milled Bulgarians, Hungarians & Polish are long gone but were in better shape, on average, than the Russians when they were available. A milled receiver build is spendy, but a class above the stamped kits that dominate the market now.

#3 - Galil kit. I don't have one of these but I want one. I really doubt that any more Galil parts are ever going to be imported. It is hard to justify spending over a grand to get the parts for a rifle build though.

#4 - The Bulgarian AK74 kits. I actually don't believe these are in short supply, but I think there is a chance that the parts could be diverted into the production of completed "sporter" rifles for import into the USA. The stories are out about at least two different manufacturers getting set up to import low cap AK74s from bulgaria.

I would guess that the AK type kits that are available now will probably be around for a while - BATF & customs willing.

If you have the $ though, it is never a mistake to buy kits of almost any type. I have a modest pile of FAL - HK - AK kits that I have bought when they were common and relatively cheap. They have all appreciated in value (if I was considering selling, which I'm not) and even if I stopped buying anything more tomorrow I have enough kits and parts to keep me occupied for at least 5 years . I wish I would have had the foresight to buy up a truckload of FAL kits when they were being pushed hard for $89 and Bulgarian milled receivers when they were $99 . Seems like an eternity but it was just a few years ago.

s & p

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've got a couple of AK-74s built by ORF on virgin Bulgy AK-74 kits and picked up a couple of complete barrel assemblies while I was at it for future rebuild/repair use (the AK is incredibly rugged but a '74 bbl *will* eventually wear out someday).
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Found several companies selling Russian milled kits including Florida gun works, who I won't buy from.

I am interested in building a milled Russian underfolder but know nothing about the kits as far as what "type" to get and whether the FAC receivers fit them.

Also, does anyone else besides Joeken have the Russian PLO underfolder kits ?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PS- I always wanted a "real" HK G3 and would like recommendations on the best US receiver and kit to get. I would be building the retractable stock version and looking for authenticity. I see the "PTR91" being advertised complete, fairly reasonable, but I know too little about their quality.

I understand I would have to go out and buy the $200 + stock separately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.