Thread: Coldsteel Receivers

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thumbs up Coldsteel Receivers

I just have to say that I just received my two replacement receivers from ColdSteel. The dimensions are right on the money. I found that one measurement on the drawing is questionable. It is the dimension for the crossmember. It seems too far forward. I used the measurement off of a Tapco flat and it seems right. I want to thank ColdSteel for providing the first 80% receiver for the Yugo and RPK.
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

That's good to hear. Do you know what their lead time is now?

At the risk of possibly offending, I'll take the liberty of stating that Matt has an absolutely perfect 80%. Height, interior, trunnion fit, the works. He has, however no intention of sales.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Winn,
    I received my two receivers in less than a week after I sent the first two back. This will be my first build using an 80% bent-metal receiver, so I would rank it high on the difficulty meter. Everything is complete on the receiver at this point except the cross member and rails, so I am coming along quite well. It looks good too. I did have to TIG up the holes that were wrong, but I am getting better at that and the weld job looks great. Coldsteel has great customer service and you will find that with so many people waiting for a 100% receiver, he (coldsteel) is probably caught up on his backlog and delivery time is minimal.
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score

I thought greenlight arms had the 1st receivers out and were built on by ZRecto and Vegeta built the 1st RPK on it. Only thing matters is we have them available by a couple vendors now. Good job on getting them in and lets see some pics george.

oh!! These are the 1st 80% blanks?? AWESOME!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question

George, where the holes that needed to be filled due to bad location by ColdSteel (pre-center punched) or something else. I have a ColdSteel 80% that the locations are all wrong and they did a nasty job of placement of the x and y axis.
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr
    George, where the holes that needed to be filled due to bad location by ColdSteel (pre-center punched) or something else. I have a ColdSteel 80% that the locations are all wrong and they did a nasty job of placement of the x and y axis.
    My Coldsteel receivers were not punched at all. I was following the drawing that was supplied with the receiver. I measured and drilled all the holes. The center support was placed forward of the mag cut-out a little too much. Maybe the Yugo is supposed to be that way, but it seemed as if the center support would be in the way of the mag. On all the other receivers that I have used the support is located above the front trigger guard rivets.

Feedback Score

I got a coldsteal reciever it's made me so mad im about ready to get rid of every yugo i have. Any body know where i can get a set of over sized pins may be if i had a set of pin that would reach from one side to the other i could weld up the holes a start over with out there prints.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

shotguncycle I'm not understanding your question. Technically, there are no "over-sized pins" because they are all made for 1.6mm receivers to be "just right". They are longer on a 1mm receiver and that's why we have the axis pin dimples. Are you saying that your axis pins can't connect? You should clamp the trunions in place and a center support, then measure. EVERY ONE of any 80% receiver I've used, coldsteel or otherwise, will "draw up" when everything is clamped in place and actually be skinnier side-to-side, so your pins *should* work...

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr
    Coldsteel's template is not accurate. So his punch marks are in the incorrect location. When I emailed him, he decided to quit punch-marking them. This was around March 2005. Ace Arms template is better, but the DPH Arms and Tapco flats make even better templates.

Quote Originally Posted by shotguncycle
    I got a coldsteal reciever it's made me so mad im about ready to get rid of every yugo i have. Any body know where i can get a set of over sized pins may be if i had a set of pin that would reach from one side to the other i could weld up the holes a start over with out there prints.
    The initial problem is that some of the Coldsteel blanks are not "pressed" flat to the jig. Check the receiver sides, some are "curved" outwards. The fix is to press them to flatness.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OrdnanceGuy
    Coldsteel's template is not accurate. So his punch marks are in the incorrect location. When I emailed him, he decided to quit punch-marking them. This was around March 2005. Ace Arms template is better, but the DPH Arms and Tapco flats make even better templates.
    I clamp a Tapco flat to the bottom of a ColdSteel receiver and mill out the bottom and drill the noles with the flat in place.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.