I got one.
Did anyone here order one of the recent Polish kits from CFS? Just wanted to get some feedback from those of you who had.
I got one.
I just shipped mine back today. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this particular kit a 1.5. This is the WORST demill job I've ever seen. The K-Var 74 trunnions were minor compared to this. The Centerfire 74 trunnions were bad just like the K-Var were, but both were fixable. This kit was plain junk.
The list of issues:
1. Muzzle looks like rifle was dropped on concrete.
2. Muzzle is rusty.
3. Muzzle has a chip out of it.
4. Bore is pitted.
5. Bore is rusty.
5. Trunnion was cut close enough to rivets to take half of one head off.
6. Rear block was cut through rivets.
7. Gas tube is the vented type. The rifle has a vented gas block and should not have a vented tube.
8. Lower handguard is from a milled kit and will not fit a stamped receiver.
9. One sight block ear is bent. Minor fix, but one more for the list.
Even if I recrowned this kit, there would have been no way to salvage the bore. It was pitted from chamber to muzzle and the rifling was fairly eroded from the muzzle back to the gas port.
I talked to Lois. She said no problem and gave me an RMA number. I've gotten great service from Centerfire, so I'll keep dealing with them. This sort of thing happens. They have great customer service and that makes up for a rare bad item. Apparently the samples were much nicer than the batch of kits they actually received.
I sent the kit back and told Lois to put the credit towards an Enfield #4. I'll see what kind of condition it's in before I have Todd do the transfer. If it's junk, I'll send it back.
same here, my is all rust out, lots greman plastic parts, look like has been in WWW III
Originally Posted by yosuthnmasa
First kit I checked out had matching numbers, a bore that looked like it had never seen a bullet through it, dark wood, red plastic grip, front trunnion wasn't touched in the cutting process, rear trunnion was cut close and can be made useable. Everything appears straight and almost like a new gun that was cut up for parts.
The second kit....where should i begin??? It had a nice barrel with excellent bore, one of the sight ears was doggy looking but nothing a little sandpaper couldn't fix. The front trunnion looks beautiful too. Now for the bad and wierd stuff.
1. This has a laminate pistol grip instead of a red plastic one. wouldn't be bad if it matched the wood.
2. speaking of wood, the wood doesn't match and appears to be off from three different guns (upper is beat to crap, lower is dark wood like the first kit but different in a few ways like it wasn't polish), and the laminate pistol grip is a different color. This will definitely give the battlefield look, lol.
3. The numbers do not match on this kit. The bolt and bolt carrier seem to have the same proof marks but the number on the bolt carrier is barely legible and is different than on the trunnion. Also the bolt and bolt carrier are very worn compared to the barrel assembly.
4. The underfolder looks good and is straight but is a totally different style mechanism than the other cfs polish kit and also is different than the global trades polish kit I have. Did Poland make different style rear trunnions/locking mechanisms? or maybe this is a different country for the underfolder stock. I definitely need to get some pictures taken.
5. The rest of the parts are a hodge podge of parts with different numbers from different guns. The gas tube looks worn to nothing and yet the barrel is in excellent shape.
All in all do I think these were a good deal? The first kit definitely yes, the second kit well do I have a choice? Sure I could return it but if they sold out of the polish underfolders already I wouldn't be able to get another one in exchange - would I? For the price some would say why B*tch and complain. Well I'm not complaining but I do feel that looking at the second kit it looks nothing like the kit Lois posted a link to the picture of (my first kit looks as good as the picture in the cfs link though). Sad thing is with ordering two kits, one was for me and one was for a buddy of mine(yes he already paid me for it). You can only guess which kit I am stuck with, lol. I figure I will call Lois in the AM and see what I can get worked out to see if there are any polish underfolder kits left where I could make an exchange for the second kit. If not I will keep the second kit and practice my wood working skills (or lack of) with the wood in that kit.
I had intended for my lack of the vociferous comment to speak volumes.Originally Posted by scubadvr
I see however, that we are not suffering in silence.
I will not send it back, Center fire did not misrepresent it. And the extraordinary condition of many of the kits which I have received from them has spoiled me.
Mine is in about the same shape as Rhino's. It does have the distinction however of being the first kit I have ever gotten which would not headspace.
Winn, nicely said, and maybe I can (and should) learn something from you (silence is golden is the first lesson) . But on a different note...Originally Posted by Winn R
I do remember reading at the akfiles http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2409 where Tara (a centerfire employee) wrote that these kits are in very good condition. and looking at the picture at http://www.centerfiresystems.com/polishkit.html reminds me of my first kit and not my second.
Now don't go getting his head all swelled up again.Originally Posted by Bud Dwyer
We just got it so that he can wear a hat again, after the last time somebody said something nice about him.
When was that anyway, spring of 98 or was it 97?