Gouged by McMaster-Carr Shipping

Thread: Gouged by McMaster-Carr Shipping

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Gouged by McMaster-Carr Shipping

I found out too late that just the shipping for 2ea. 1 pound cans of Kasenit is $38. I also ordered a 1/4" end mill for $17 on the same order. The sales associate told me that in addition to the $38 Kasenit shipping, the end mill will be shipped separately and the shipping for the end mill will be more than the cost of the end mill. According to the sales associate, they will only ship to Hawaii via UPS 2nd day. No where on their web site is this mentioned.

I have never had such problems with McMaster before. To McMasters credit they did cancel the end mill order for me. I ordered the same end mill from Enco. It was a couple dollars more, but the shipping was less than $7 for 2 end mills.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have been buying from McMaster-Carr for many years as a purchasing agent and NEVER had such a problem. Now you do live in the Aloha State and not as close to the main branch as I do. Some times, you have to do a bit of research on shipping charges before ordering for things like HazMat fees, shipping to other than the lower 48 states, regulations requiring UPS Red Next Day Delivery for certain regulated items, etc. Wait till your supplier charges you expidite fees that cost much more than the item you need, plus the shipping charges......

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

I know that sometimes shipping can be expensive, however, at least we can have things shipped.

There was a time that if the product you wanted wasn't in your local area, you just had to do without.

Being able to buy things and have them shipped is for me just part of the game. We can complain but at least we have what we want.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

As I said before, I have not had any problems with McMaster until now. The shipping charges are not shown on the web site nor on the internet order form. By the time I found out about the charges, a part of the order was shipped. If this was a first time order from them, then shame on me. This was my fourth order from them. I guess I will be doing more business with Enco.

The residents of the 49th & 50th states out of necesity need to be resourceful in finding reliable and reasonable suppliers in regards to shipping. For example one of my associates convinced Aimsurplus to change their shipping policies to Hawaii. It was a win/win situation for all. The only down side was that Aim ran out of the items before I got to order them.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I ordered 3 yes 3 e-clips and one bolt. Could have, SHOULD have come in a small padded envelope. Came in a box 10" by 5" by 10" or so. Kinda ticked me off.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The order from McMaster took 4 days to arrive. This is why I told the sales associate UPS 2nd day is of little value to me. There was no packing in the box. Both cans of Kasenit were dented. As usual, the UPS driver left the package at my front door for all to see. For $38 shipping I expected better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What I dislike is that if you're ordering from the website, there's no way to tell what shipping is going to be. I just ordered a batch of o-rings (2 sizes, 100 each), about four bucks and a lifetime supply for my kegs. Thankfully shipping was only four bucks, I was afraid it would be two or three times that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    I ordered 3 yes 3 e-clips and one bolt. Could have, SHOULD have come in a small padded envelope. Came in a box 10" by 5" by 10" or so. Kinda ticked me off.
    That sort of thing is common, I think shipping department packing droids get a kickback from the corrugated companies. We get 2 deliveries everyday from our main parts supplier, many times we open a huge box to find another box inside, still has the shipping label on it from their supplier! That box was good enough for UPS to get it to them undamaged, why not just slap a new label over the old one and toss it in the delivery guy's van? Nope, gotta throw it in a new box along with some foam or bubble pack and tape it up. And it's not even the "good" bubble pack you can pop, it's that new insidiously evil stuff with the interconnected bubbles!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.