Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ELK RIVER tool not a good company

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-o View Post
    What are they building for you, and yes please post a pic. I haven't been able to find pic of their receivers or builds.
    thanks
    daddy-o
    They are building a Romy but on a Nodak NDS-3 receiver I supplied. I'll see if I can get some pics of their receivers and or complete builds. I have to take some furniture to them for my build.
    On A Quest For Perfect Political Incorrectness.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    I'll see if I can get some pics of their receivers and or complete builds.

Feedback Score

Ok, I got my rifle from Elk River yesterday and I'm not impressed.

The first thing I noticed was the finish. I paid them $80.00 to parkerize the weapon. It has the parkerization scratched off in some areas. Looks to me like when they assemble the rifle the used tools that scratched it in places. Ok no big deal. It's an AK and I will probably do more to it but I would think the finish should adhere to the weapon much better.( I have an 03-A3 parkerized that was built in the 40s and it's parkerization has no scratches. It has seen battle.)

The cleaning rod would not go all the way down so as to lock in it's seat under the front sight block. So it slides out and falls on the ground. Especially if you fire the weapon.

I gave them a Tapco Galil style front grip to install. It fit poorly.

It seems to have a problem keeping the mags locked in. I fired two different ones and they both came loose from the rear. Two other mags held. So it could be the mags but an AK isn't supposed to be finiky.

Ok, now here is my real problem. The damn weapon will not function.
    I tried four different mags and two different ammos. The weapon fires one round or two max and jams. It does not eject the spent cartridge. I was told the weapon was test fired before I picked it up. I doubt that. How a company would allow a weapon out there front door in this condition unless it was being taken to the dumpster is beyond me.

Now, I called today and asked speak with Hector Bennett the owner, it seems he is unavailable for the next three weeks. ( I have been to Elk River three times in the past month and have never seen him. It's a very small building by the way and the office is about 20X40 with just a couple cubicles in the back so unless he is a very tiny person he was never there.) So I wonder how much hands on he has with his company.

Tomorrow I will take the weapon back and allow them a chance to make it right. Everyone deserves a second chance. They will get one.

I will post the results along with photos of the weapon and some additional comment on a supplier that works out of Elk Rivers location.

Stay tuned.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Now, I called today and asked speak with Hector Bennett the owner, it seems he is unavailable for the next three weeks. ( I have been to Elk River three times in the past month and have never seen him. It's a very small building by the way and the office is about 20X40 with just a couple cubicles in the back so unless he is a very tiny person he was never there.) So I wonder how much hands on he has with his company.
    They use the whole building.

You just saw the office area.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

let me get this straight you sent a romy with a nodak to be built by ERTD
    man that is a kick in the nuts, in their defense the nodaks need a aggressive media blast to take parkerizing, due to hardness of metal and the NDS-3 does'nt like the tapco single hook fcg you need to limit overtravel and sometimes adjust the disconnector, ARS has a extensive study and tutorial on this subject. The magwells are quirkey on the nds-3 they need to modified to accept all origin mags and this not being their receiver they may not have be aware of these differences. I build all my own guns and i ordered a 5.45 from ERTD for a build and will report findings.but i do have to admit they do have some catchup to do compete with nds. but nds dont build complete rifles
    They are building a Romy but on a Nodak NDS-3 receiver I supplied. I'll see if I can get some pics of their receivers and or complete builds. I have to take some furniture to them for my build.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    They use the whole building.

You just saw the office area.
    That is what I was speaking of, the office area. Iwas in the production area as well and never saw Hector. Which was my point as he never seems to be there. Perhaps you know of a secret area that he haunts in the building.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bohnscot View Post
    man that is a kick in the nuts, in their defense the nodaks need a aggressive media blast to take parkerizing, due to hardness of metal and the NDS-3 does'nt like the tapco single hook fcg you need to limit overtravel and sometimes adjust the disconnector, ARS has a extensive study and tutorial on this subject. The magwells are quirkey on the nds-3 they need to modified to accept all origin mags and this not being their receiver they may not have be aware of these differences. I build all my own guns and i ordered a 5.45 from ERTD for a build and will report findings.but i do have to admit they do have some catchup to do compete with nds. but nds dont build complete rifles
    I had a discussion with Cody before he started the build. I asked he there was any problems with my parts to do a quality build. I mentiontioned the Tapco trigger/ NDS-3 combination and he said no problem and there isn't. (Where the hell did you come up with that?) As far as the nodaks needing bead blasting to hold parkerizing, well if it needed it they should have done it. By the way the parkerizing is ok on the receiver. It's other parts of the weapon that are missing the finish.
    It matters not if the NDS is quirky as you say, and you are the only person I have heard say that, I was told this would be a quality build before they started on the weapon.
    The kick in the nuts was given to me. My life may depend on this weapon. To let it out the door in the condition it is is total bullshit. Did I mention I have to drive an hour each way to return this slapped together bunch of parts, I won't call it a build. They put themselves out to be professionals and charge for their services, they should follow through with a weapon that functions. I wasn't looking for a single shot rifle.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

say you never heard of nds-3 shortcomings ,i guess you dont cruise the forums very much. i'm no pro but i have 13 builds under my belt three were nds-3 and they all work.what i speak comes from personal experience.i agree they should have provided a professional service since they charged a professonial fee. i hope they rectify the problem. but a thought ,if you buy a kit and hire it built it seems to me to be just as cost effective to buy one already built with a warranty. if they dont resolve the problem, i will tie them to the whipping post for you. good luck to you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bohnscot View Post
    . . and what's the matter with sending a Nodak receiver to ERT&D for assembly? It's 2Dog's money. ETR&D does offer build services and isn't picky about what components are used.

As far as NDS-3 receivers, they build just fine. Gunplumber critiques the hell out of everything.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.