Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ELK RIVER tool not a good company

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    . . and what's the matter with sending a Nodak receiver to ERT&D for assembly? It's 2Dog's money. ETR&D does offer build services and isn't picky about what components are used.

As far as NDS-3 receivers, they build just fine. Gunplumber critiques the hell out of everything.
    i guess technically there is nothing wrong with it
    just kinda seems like taking your ford to a chevy dealer for service work.i'm
    not saying nds-3 is a bad receiver it just that the nds-1 is a much more builder friendly receiver .the action cycles smoother due to step rails the front and rear angles dont require tweaking to fit stocks properly IE hairline gaps and the fcg geometry seems to require less smithing. time being money i would rather spend the extra for the nds-1. there is a reason the nds-3 cost less. i kinda think of the nds-3 as a tapco flat that nds assembled and heat treated ,where as the nds -1 is an ak builder, just an old hillbillys opinion

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bohnscot View Post
    say you never heard of nds-3 shortcomings ,i guess you dont cruise the forums very much. i'm no pro but i have 13 builds under my belt three were nds-3 and they all work.what i speak comes from personal experience.i agree they should have provided a professional service since they charged a professonial fee. i hope they rectify the problem. but a thought ,if you buy a kit and hire it built it seems to me to be just as cost effective to buy one already built with a warranty. if they dont resolve the problem, i will tie them to the whipping post for you. good luck to you
    I cruise the forums a lot and from what I make of them is the posters are not very informed. There is no problems with the NDS-3 receiver the problem is with the person building the weapon. It is the workmanship not the part that is the problem.

I was told the build came with a life time warrantee before they started the job.

I will state again, I discussed this build in depth with Elk River before they started and was assured it would be a quality build. (It's not my first AK build.)

I returned the rifle to them today and was assured, again, all the problems would be taken care of. Tomorrow will tell.
    Stay tuned.
    On A Quest For Perfect Political Incorrectness.

Feedback Score

I don't know a lot of things about human nature but I will say that some people have a tendency to overreact.

I am "visiting" my very beautiful wife and children in Montana who I miss everyday while I'm in Houston.

2 Dogs, you may need to slow down and regroup. You don't charge into my shop and go directly in my assembly area that is for employees only and stand over them like you sign the checks (yesterday). If you have a problem you start with the front office and then someone will come and address your circumstance. I shouldn't have to explain this as if your are a child.

Elk River is a 10K sq. ft. facility, rather small and I happen to be 6'1" and 195 lbs, I'm not tiny but if I wish to "haunt" this place I have the lease agreement to do so. Who are you to judge me or my office anyhow?? My office is not how you described, I just guess you need more to complain about and make your post longer.

You brought a parts set in to be assembled on an NDS3 receiver, it was assembled and test fired 5rnds then parked (Before I go on we park M4 barrels for the military as well as rifles for very well known vendors with no problems). You brought the rifle back yesterday and it was test fired again with you standing right there using your mag (that fit tighter than ours) and they found out that the ejector was not long enough to eject the casing. Yes, it is the receiver not the workmanship.

I know you are upset but I notice you didn't post this info yesterday. You can make up excuses as to why but you sure jumped at the chance to ridicule without talking to anyone first.

The Tapco handgaurd is just that.

As always we stand behind all work performed and yes it is possible to make a sows ear into a purse.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

double

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

well we finally got to hear the other side. looks like your are in luck. a little shot of tig on that ejector and a little dremel on the magwell you should be good to go. but if you go over to the ak forum and converse with hardcore seasoned builders you can learn a lot about building and keeping your ak running.those guys eat sleep and breathe ak ,and are'nt quick to bash

confederate i dont know about the sows ear i bought a krinks receiver for an early pistol build of mine , man that thing had sooo many problems i finally gave up on it .trigger hole too high, selector hole too high, carrier jumping rails due to too much rail removal. i keep it on my pegboard to remind me you get what you pay for. im looking forward to getting my 5.45 ert&d and building with it i bought a tantal with all the fcg missing so i figured to build with a non tantal specific receiver. i wanted a 1.6mm but that 4 month lead was too much for me. i'm an instant gratification kind of guy. i built a hung amms on an AUSA 1.6 and friggen loved it.its like a tank. and no slop on carrier . but i will post on the build right here on this thread. and maybe this thread will stopped getting bumped .i know that would suit you

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bohnscot View Post
    well we finally got to hear the other side. looks like your are in luck. a little shot of tig on that ejector and a little dremel on the magwell you should be good to go. but if you go over to the ak forum and converse with hardcore seasoned builders you can learn a lot about building and keeping your ak running.those guys eat sleep and breathe ak ,and are'nt quick to bash
    The internet and the typed word are such a poor vehicle with which to understand what we each are "saying."

But, that last "and are'nt quick to bash" could be read as though the poster somehow feels the members here ARE quick to bash. I hope that wasn't the intent. If it was, , especially in this thread.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    The internet and the typed word are such a poor vehicle with which to understand what we each are "saying."

But, that last "and are'nt quick to bash" could be read as though the poster somehow feels the members here ARE quick to bash. I hope that wasn't the intent. If it was, , especially in this thread.
    no sir the intent was not a plural generalzation but a singular insinuation.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks! Whew!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Thanks! Whew!
    i see you over there to, although not as prolific as here. but you know what i speak is true

Feedback Score

I think some people are far, FAR too quick to bash....

In my opinion, Hector Bennett has one of the best AK gunsmiths in the country working for him, a fellow by the name of Cody Baker.

I own a number of AK rifles built on Armory or Elk River receivers. Some Cody built, some I built. I have had no problems with any of them.

I have to strongly disagree with one poster’s comments about Cody Baker's builds. I started working as a gunsmith in 1977, and I know more than a little about the AK rifle myself. I don’t believe Cody Baker puts out rifles with “poor workmanship”. In fact, I think Cody builds some of the best AK’s in the country, and has forgot more about the AK than most of us will ever know.

Cody is currently building me a Polish Tantal that I will be picking up at the shop tomorrow. I have no doubt that the workmanship on that rifle will be just like the other rifles he built for me - which is to say excellent.

Here is a little “fun fact” that few people know. I’m sure many of you are familiar with an AK builder by the name of Mark Krebs who owns and operates Krebs Custom. Cody Baker trained him. I found this out by speaking to Mr. Krebs personally. So I do believe Mr. Baker knows what he is doing with an AK…..

It is common knowledge (to most people) that AK kits have wide, WIDE variations in tolerances. Receiver manufacturers have to take this into account. Most times, a given receiver will work with a variety of different kits....but sometimes a rifle kit or the receiver will need to be "tweaked" in order to get it to function correctly. Which is why Elk River builds have a lifetime warrenty. But for someone to immediately condemn a gunsmith or his work because of a minor and easily correctable problem is silly.

Again, I think some people are far, far too quick to bash…

TR Graham
    The Glocksmith
    Last edited by TR Graham; 05-22-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.