Korean AK 47 drum mags

Thread: Korean AK 47 drum mags

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Postak Korean AK 47 drum mags

I am reporting in on the new AK 47 korean drum mag and ATI 40 round stick mag. I am compairing th drum to a bulgarian drum as I dont have a chinese.
    For starters the Drum mag is sealed in a bag and comes in a cardbord box. Upon opening it has what appears to be a greyish parkerizing on it. Its finish closely matches the century yugo ak or wasr 10s finish. The body looks nice and mimics the bulgarian drum but it stops there. There are differences. To start off with the front mag locking lip on the tower is constucted a little different. It resembles but doesnt realy look like a standard ak front. Next the hinge pins are different. The bulgarians have a double headed pin like on the rear tang rivts of an ak reciever where as these only have one and apeer to be hollow like a roll pin and then kind of staked open on the ends. The tower on top is construckted a little different and does not have the rivits attaching it on either side to the body like the bulgarian does. Then on to the welds. I am not a wielder but the spot welds are small. They dont look bad and are some what pleasing to the eye but they dont have the large spot wield shape that most mags or reciever rails have. Then on to the locking latches. They seem a little weeker than the the bulgarians. When inserted into the rifle it locks in well. Next to no side to side wobble. When loaded with bullets and wound it seems to work correctly and puts enouph preasure on the rounds. All in all it doesnt look that bad. I think It will hold up and I dont think that it was made by the same factory as ATi mags even though the wields do look the same.

Now on to the korean 40 round ATI mags. Blah. I didnt think that I would be disapointed. The body has nice clean deep stamping of the ribbs through it better looking than most com block bodys. All in all the body doesnt look that bad. It has small wields on the back spine and it was seporating a little on the botom buty that might just be cosmetic.. I have about 40 regular box mags to compair with and this ATI is a bit off. . When I dissasembled the mag I noticed that the bottom plate has ATIs logo on it. The plate is week compaired to a regular. Im not sur if it is due to a thin stamp in it or a thinner metal. When I pulled the spring and follower out I did have a nice surprise. The spring is coated. What in I dont know but I bet it prevents it from rusting. Thats cool...It is a nice black color. Now the follower lacks alot. It does not look like any follower I have seen before. CHEEP and poorly spot weieded. One side had allready seporated. Blah. I then loaded up a couple mags. When loading the bullets they were not sitting correctly in the mag. It was like there wasnt that much preasure on the rear of the round but more towards the front.. When it was fully loaded though it did look better. The indicator whole on the back to let you know that it is full isnt even round. It is a distorted oval.. I think that these were made for export only and are not millitary grade! I havent tested these out while shooting yet but if they work Ill be happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Korean AK 47 drum mags-100_0179.jpg  

Korean AK 47 drum mags-100_0180.jpg  

Korean AK 47 drum mags-100_0188.jpg  

Korean AK 47 drum mags-100_0181.jpg  

Last edited by Seadog; 07-02-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: tring to put pics in

Feedback Score

Good luck, have heard and seen pictures as to how bad both of these are, and seen picture of them falling apart!
    Best wishes!

Feedback Score

are the south korean drums the same as the "ATI" drums?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by guncats View Post
    are the south korean drums the same as the "ATI" drums?
    I am not possitive. There are two manufactures from Korea that I am aware of. MiliTop and KYUNG CHANG INDUSTRY CO also known as KCI. They both advetise ak 47 drums for sale. ATI is just an inporter as far as I know. They brought in the bulgy ak 47 drums. They were a good and faith full copy. The korean one I have is from copes. AIM also has some for sale. The price is the same. The picture on AIMs is different than the one on copes making me think that there are two different ones being offered. The spot welds on the AIMs pic look better plus it has the correct tower rivits were as the one from copes has small spot welds and no tower rivits. Plus look at the difference of the front locking lip on them. The AIMs looks better and more traditional. ATI is the company inporting the grey asian ak 47 box mags. They are not Millitary grade and the followers seriously lack.

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    I am not possitive. There are two manufactures from Korea that I am aware of. MiliTop and KYUNG CHANG INDUSTRY CO also known as KCI. They both advetise ak 47 drums for sale. ATI is just an inporter as far as I know. They brought in the bulgy ak 47 drums. They were a good and faith full copy. The korean one I have is from copes. AIM also has some for sale. The price is the same. The picture on AIMs is different than the one on copes making me think that there are two different ones being offered. The spot welds on the AIMs pic look better plus it has the correct tower rivits were as the one from copes has small spot welds and no tower rivits. Plus look at the difference of the front locking lip on them. The AIMs looks better and more traditional. ATI is the company inporting the grey asian ak 47 box mags. They are not Millitary grade and the followers seriously lack.
    Does anyone know if this is correct? I am looking to buy a drum mag, but I want to know if there is a difference between what centerfire/copes are selling, and what aim has advertised. aims look more like the bulgrian drums in finish, rivited tower, front latch, etc. if you know please help out. thanks guys
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score

best thing would be email both?

Search tags for this page

are the kyung chang 75 round drums any good for the ak

kci kyung chang ak 47 drum

korean ak 47 drum review

kyung chang 75 round drum magazine

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.