Gunco Forums banner

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard/laser .38

10K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  20nickels 
#1 ·
I bought one of the Bodyguard .38 revolvers. It is easy to conceal and feels good in the hand even shooting +P. The laser is hard to set. The fixed sights are worthless as…no adjustment. Shoots 5-6 inches to the left at twenty feet. Forget about hitting a man sized target at 40 feet. This purchase was a big mistake unless you just want one for a gut gun at arm’s length. I know it is not a target model but it is the most inaccurate firearm I ever had in my hand. Cost was $525. Got the shaft. I will probably sell it on consignment and recover whatever I can. Going back to the Keltec for the carry. I hit rabbits with it.

#5 ·
My girlfriend has a S&W Mod. 49 Bodyguard with a Crimson Trace and really likes it. Unlike my Colt Detective Special her gun is very accurate (at least when shooting single action). We use a 125 grain lead bullet and 2.7 grains of Win. 231. Low recoil and good accuracy. I'm sure she'd never consider selling hers......

#7 ·
I did contact Smith and they said they would like the pistol returned for analysis. I am of two minds now. With Remington 130 gr. ammo it shoots horrible 5 in. scattered groups at 15 yds. With Winchester ammo about three in. groups. With Monarch 158 gr. it shoots two in. groups. With CCI 125 Hp +P it shoots 1" groups. Better than I can get with my Ruger Vaquero with 5.5 barrel or My Colt 1873. And it is consistent. The hell of it is...it shoots consistently 6 in from point of aim at ten o'clock at 40 feet. At thirty yards, it shoots better than 18 in. from point of aim. With the laser, I can keep the holes in a center ring of a two in. target at 15 yds. Can't see the laser in daytime. If it would just shoot to point of aim, it would be perfect. Smith says they will satisfy me. My other Smiths are flawless, so I will wait and see.

#8 ·
Years ago I had some problems with a Ruger P90 sent it back to them for me it was a great experiance. I trust that S & W will be the same way. I got some free work and new parts. I'd relax and let them work their magic mojo on your gun. Do post and tell us how it turns out...

#9 ·
I bought one of the Bodyguard .38 revolvers. It is easy to conceal and feels good in the hand even shooting +P. The laser is hard to set. The fixed sights are worthless as…no adjustment. Shoots 5-6 inches to the left at twenty feet. Forget about hitting a man sized target at 40 feet. This purchase was a big mistake unless you just want one for a gut gun at arm’s length. I know it is not a target model but it is the most inaccurate firearm I ever had in my hand. Cost was $525. Got the shaft. I will probably sell it on consignment and recover whatever I can. Going back to the Keltec for the carry. I hit rabbits with it.
I just bought the Bodyguard 38 and I love it. It feels good in the hand and shoots very well for such a small light DAO revolver. I found the laser quite easy to adjust.

A couple thoughts on your post. I too thought I had a problem when I first shot it. At 15 feet I was a good 3 to 4 inches to the left and 1 to 2 inches low. After a hundred rounds I was ready to take it back. I took a break and talked with a friend who was watching me. We determined I was using too much trigger finger and I was squeezing the grip to hard anticipating the recoil. I did some dry fire work to get a feel for it and then shot 50 more rounds. At 15 feet I was spot on the center shooting 1-inch groups.

This is a small lightweight DAO revolver with a 1.9 inch barrel. If you want to shoot 2-inch groups at 40 feet this is probably not the firearm for you. By your description I would say the problem is with you and not then gun. I would guess you are putting to much trigger finger into it which is pushing your groups left. Please forgive me if you have been shooting DAO revolvers for 100 years. Most people do not shoot revolvers any more and if they do they do not shoot them DA. I grew up shooting 38 special in a S&W model 65. I never shot it DA because it was too hard. Sense then I have been shooting semi auto's. It took me a 150 rounds to get used to the gun. Once I did it shot perfectly.

#10 ·
My experience with S&W's is that they are more accurate than most people can hold short barrel notwithstanding. They do make oopsies at the factory though and you are the final product QC. In those cases they have been more than helpfull with me and I was charged nothing for the fixes. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.