Gunco Forums banner

Update on S&W Bodyguard

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Smiling Jack 
#1 ·
I posted before on the issue of the S&W Bodyguard not shooting to point of aim and would like to comment further. I notified S&W of the defect and they requested the arm. I sent it to them and received it back in about ten days...with the exact same condition. I fired it and got the same grouping I did before. Five high and three to the left at 15 yards, Twenty five yards: 5 left, 35 yards: 7 in to the left and over 12 high. This is a good gut gun for sticking into an attacker's belly and firing, but if you intend to dispatch the occasional varmint or predator as I do on the ranch, Tough Luck...unless you are good at point shooting. The dealer had heard it before and just said..it's not a target gun. The Sept. Issue of Gun Tests on page 28 related the same problem. The hell of it is...it could be a target gun. It will print one inch groups at 15 yards...just not where you aim. I told Smith it was a manufacturing defect. All they would have to do to correct the problem is machine the barrel frame true for the liner and it would be good to go. Or, mill the rear sight AFTER testing the pistol.

#4 ·
An oldtimer once told me to turn the barrel slightly to adjust point of aim (R-L) on a fixed sighted revolver. That may or may not help depending on how your barrel is set up. I have an early kahr MK9 auto that is very accurate for its size. I've taken groundhogs with it out to about 30 yards with ease. Some little guns can suprise you.

#5 ·
My brother-in-law had the same problem. He took a square hobby file and filed out the rear sight wider to the right. He said it gave him a better sight picture and solved the problem...except he has to aim a bit low because his shoots high too. He daubed it up with a black marksalot and it's hard to tell he did it. I have an old Smith snubby and it pretty much shoots to point of aim...but it does not group as well as his Bodyguard. You can't turn the barrel on a Bodyguard because it is an insert in the body housing. A gunsmith could probably do a prettier job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.