Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 "buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!

picked up the 45acp OSS pistol over the weekend from my FFL.

so far my initial impressions are very positive. the pistol looks much betterIRL that it does in photos. the dull stainless makes for a sharp contrast to the black frame. no gimmikey panels to swap out. just a solid grip.

it is like the bastard half breed cross of a 1911 and a glock with a little para and sig thrown in on the side!

the grip of the pistol fits my hand better than any other 45 i have ever held--though that is subjective.

the build quality is pretty decent. aside from some cheezy plastic parts--like the DA/SA cocking indicator thingy and a few hidden machine marks under the slide it looks to be well made. take down there ain't nothing to it.

the novac sights are pretty good--though night sights would have been much better, they were not included in the sale priced 45s --only in the 9mms had the night sights in the sale price range.

trigger pull is much better than i expected. DA is fairly light and smooth but fairly long travel.

SA is very nice and is running about 5 and 1/2 lbs though there is excessive (by my standards) amount of travel and re-set for the first shot coming out of DA to SA.

in SA mode it trigger re sets very quick but there is excessive over travel so you would have to train your trigger finger to only let off the trigger enough to reset and ignore the over-travel slop. actual pull is short and crisp for a da/sa set up.

i don't think you should compare this OSS trigger set up to a finely tuned 1911 trigger. it is much more like a traditional DA/SA set up. it is more of a "poor mans para-ord LDA" than it is a 1911 even if the size and feel is similar to the 1911.

it is a combat SA/DA trigger set up light enough to hit targets with but just enough resistance to not have a accidental discharge if you get bounced around. it is a good trigger set up IMHO.

mags seem to work OK, though i got one of two that is not dropping free when empty though they do seem to feed fine.

i have only fired about 50 rounds so far of 230 FMJ and some JHP. it fed the rounds fine. accuracy is yet to be determined as i was off hand shooting cans at 25m and did a good job hitting them. recoil is very, very tame. more shooting to come--

it seemed to hit better with the 230gr--though this could be just me--

mag springs are VERY strong, loading rounds is like setting a bear trap!

other things like the safety , mag latch, slide release seem a bit stiff but it is a brand new pistol so that is sort of expected. the barrel does seem a bit thin--though no more thin than one in a standard 1911. supposed to be a "match" barrel. this one is accurate. but i don't know if it is match accurate or not.

the SA and locked and cocked carry mode--- i am going to have to shoot the pistol a bunch more first . i need to thoroughly familiar with the system on these taurus OSS BEFORE i try that for real. nothing like an accidental discharge with a bullet in the ass to ruin a mans day! LOL!

if i had to carry it today i would use DA mode for now--like a m9.

on CCW duty it is a bit big. but if you carry a 1911 or M9 type pistol you could adapt to it easy. it seems thinner and lighter than the m9 to boot.

after looking over the mags they look like para-ord mags "might" fit.

so far it looks like a hell of a pistol for the sale price.

taurus screwed the pooch marketing this pistol. they must have had a car-salesman in charge of marketing! this is the taurus Edsel !

so far so good--we will see how it holds up. hopefully i won't need taurus service dpt!

this pistol is being discontinued for the G2 series . the g2s are supposed to be out in late 2010 though knowing taurus it could be 2012 before they show up.

don't know if there is going to be a long-slide OSS in the G2's. i kind of doubt it because the OSS didn't sell all that great out on the market due to problems with mags and overly high retail price. i figure taurus will stick to their lower price scheme for the g2s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!-104247oss45acpwammoa.jpg  

"buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!-112247oss45withlaserlyt.jpg  

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the write up sounds like a winner let us know if Para mags work I have a P-14 in .45 and if the mags are interchanable I might have to track one down

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Smile Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post
    Thanks for the write up sounds like a winner let us know if Para mags work I have a P-14 in .45 and if the mags are interchanable I might have to track one down
    Hi TheCol.U.S.M.C.
    If you are interested in this model of Taurus I have one that I would sell for $300.00 shipped to your FFL. It is in great condition. I was going to list it in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago but life got in the way. PM me if you are interested.
    Many Thanks,
    will6970

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Default Great review!

Hi j427x,
    Great review! I have the same model in blackened stainless steel, and I loved it until I bought my Springfield Armory XD Tactical .45 acp with the frame mounted safety. Now the XD is all that I ever want to shoot at the range. So now I am going to sell my Taurus. If you ever get a chance to pick up an XD Tactical do it without hesitation! It is by far the most accurate, smoothest shooting polymer framed .45 out there. I would say that the trigger and accuracy are even better than my HK USP. Sorry I am in no way trying to hijack your thread but here is a picture of my XD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!-14863_2.gif_thumbnail1.jpg  

"buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!-14863_4.gif_thumbnail1.jpg  

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i had an XD tac. bought one when they first came out. sold it and bought a glock--LOL!

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Smile

That is funny cause I just traded my Glock for the same reason. LOL Like everything it comes down to what is comfortable to the individual shooter and personal preference. Take care.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by will6970 View Post
    That is funny cause I just traded my Glock for the same reason. LOL Like everything it comes down to what is comfortable to the individual shooter and personal preference. Take care.

my XD tac was a 40 in blue. it was a good shooter. had it been a 45 i probably would have kept it.

that is a very good looking XD in stainless.

i think the main reason i traded my XD was more because i liked 45 a little better and got a "deal" on the glock.

hell if i hadn't just bought a OSS yours would look much better--if i run across anybody i'll give them a heads up.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the review!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 para mags in OSS

here is a photo of the p-14 mags in a 45 OSS i found over at ar-15.com

they said the 14's will run fine in the OSS. since they stick out i would guess a 13round would be a better fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "buds" taurus OSS 45acp out of the box!-para-mag-oss.jpg  

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok so the mag works but its ugly that way... LOL

you never did share what the going rate on the gun is..

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.