Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P 15R upper 5.45x39

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Smith and Wesson M&P 15R upper 5.45x39

About 4 mos ago I purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 5.45x39 AR upper.Installed the supplied x heavy hammer spring. From the beginning, I had light primer strikes/failures to fire on military surplus ammo both Bulgarian and Russian. It fired about 80% on comercial ammo.I ordered a wolf extra power hammer spring with no change in result. Took it to a local gunsmith and he sugested the chamber was cut too deep. I called customer service and sent it back to S&W with a letter outlining the failure to fire issue. It was sent back to me with a used scratched and scribed on(with no of rnds and lines) shop mag stating the failure to feed issue was resolved new mag........Hmmmm So I called Customer service again a shipping label was sent and off it went again.after a week and a half of leaving messages for the customer service rep i'vebeen dealing with, I recieved a return call from S&W today....They now state they test fired it and there is nothing wrong with the upper I must have an issue with my lower??? Really?? It functions flawlessly with two different 5.56mm uppers,a 7.62x39 upper and 6.8 upper but not thiers. anyone else had issues with S&W service any suggestions??? help

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

got one of these and only occasionally will have a FTF on military surplus.. never an issue on wolf or commercial stuff.

even then i get plenty of Dimple in the primer... those primers are just VERY hard.

not sure about their rep on customer service though.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why are you bothering with that crap when you can get a very reliable AK74?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I heard a little birdy (well a big birdy) tell me that there may be some in spec, chrome lined 5.45 AR barrels coming soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have 2 bulgy 74's and and 2 tantals i have plenty of ammo for them. i wanted an AR in 5.45.....Keep me posted on the ar barrels I'm probably good for at least one...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This thread ended up in the ar 15 foum as well but here's the update:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well the customer disservice continues......I recieved a call from the customer service supervisor Kay ( or kate not sure she was eating while talking ) today. She stated there is nothing wrong with the upper they test fired it fuctioned flawlessly then snarkily stated it's made to fire only sammi approved ammo.She then snidely stated i should've sent the whole rifle. i tried to explain i wasn't given that option but she just kept talking and blaming my lower and defending the work in thier service dept. I must say she's good i amost started doubting my own experience with it. This experience has so soured me on the entire smith and wesson line and structure. so i tried to ask her if they had checked the headspace and she said of course they did....i told her to send it back at this point i didn't trust the service dept after not reading the letter and addressing a failure to feed issue when it was sent in for failure to fire. I will have a set of go nogo guages at the ready when it arrives and will video the headspacing and test firing if safe to do so and post it here. Will keep you all up to date as things continue to develop.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.