Gunco Forums banner

Magneto Speed - New style chronograph

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
MagnetoSpeed

MagnetoSpeed LLC worked with Southwest Research Institute(SwRI) to quantify the ballistic accuracy of the MagnetoSpeed sensor package. SwRI uses a bench top range setup to do ballistic tests on ammunition and uses a double Oehler sky screen setup to accurately capture bullet velocity. In the table above, seven shots were taken all using the same ammunition (7.62x51mm M80) with the MagnetoSpeed sensor as well as the double skyscreen Oehler setup. Velocity 1 above is the velocity measured at the first set of skyscreens and Velocity 2 is read at the second set. When the muzzle velocity is back calculated based on the distance between skyscreen sets and the muzzle we obtain the "Calculated Muzzle" velocity in feet per second (fps). Comparing this to the Magnetospeed data we get percent differences of less than half a percent. This data series shows that the MagnetoSpeed is at least 99.6% accurate to the Oehler system used at SwRI for this test.

=====================================
jrs - First saw one of these at the local range about a month ago. It was reading low and the guy that owned it told me the next week that he called the company and they said, "No problem. We'll issue an RMA and pickup tag. Just box everything in the original box and here's the tracking number for your replacement unit."

So last time at the range the new one was there and it was dead accurate. It got put on several handloader's rifles who knew the velocity of their loads.

I've ordered mine already. I'll update when I get it the end of the month.

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw this at the same time as JRS. What a great piece of gear!

Fortunately, JRS gets to buy it since it relates to ammo, and not to the firearm itself! Murphy is my bitch this time around....

Seriously, it looks like it is worth every penny. The report we got from the guy who had it included the fact that it was not reading right at first. He called the company, and they made it right ASAP. They even shipped his new unit before getting the defective one back. Great product, Great Customer service. What more could you want?

Regards,

#4 ·
Yup!

You don't have to wait for a cease fire to set-up / take-down, you don't have to wait for a cease fire to adjust.....All in all, This is the Bee's Knee's! I can not wait to get my hands on it.

The guy who had it and spoke with us about it is a well known individual within our local community. He is a "REAL-LIVE-GUNSMITH". He buys "bored blanks" from someone like Pac-Nor, and then finish bores, and rifles the barrel himself. To me, this is near God-Like skill. This guy has forgotten more than I will EVER learn. When in his presence for more than 45 seconds, I am compelled to fall to my knees and bow repeatedly chanting "I'm not worthy!, I'm not worthy!".............

All kidding aside. My gut feeling, based on his explaination of how this beast works is that it is far more accurate and precise in terms of measurement of velocity than anything else I have ever seen.

I want to keep on gushing about this little bit of Cool-Tech, but I am going to wait until I have some work-up time. Pricey? Sure. Quality does cost. JRS especially, and myself to a lesser degree are at the point where we are willing to invest some to get our answers.:kick:

End thought: This is a great piece of gear. I'll make JRS post up an in-depth review once we have a chance to work with it first hand, and in person.

#5 ·
Ya know, all that stuff is great ,but I just do up loads that are consistant in a particular gun and label them as such. It's worked for me for >45 years and I'd find it hard to believe that I'd be able to do any better with that gadget, Hell at my age I'm only going to shoot so damn good anyways!! No matter what latest gadget I get... old eyes ya know! Between that and these neck/ back spasms,, I got all I can do to get a decent "hold" anyways.
I have used cronies before and they are a usefull tool with out a doubt, but I can knock down what ever I shoot at with 1 shot anyways, and at just about any range to boot, so I'll just muddle along as I have for years with out one.

I must admit that IS one sweat unit though!! And for someone that does 1k matchs all the time it would probibley be an asset with out a doubt.

#6 ·
JRS and I are now getting serious in our old age. We have taken our Mausers and POS optics to the limit of their capability. And we have taken (JRS more so than me) reloading to limit of our capability as well.

For both of us, if we want to move out to 1200 meters, we will need better optics, and more precise loads than we are currently producing. The Magneto Speed will allow us to more quickly check and prototype new loads. Since we both have multiple weapons, multiple calibers, etc. this will really pay off for us in terms of maximizing range time.

Again, I am excited to work with this new tool. I will get JRS to write it up. I am obviously already a fan.

#7 ·
Couldn't tell bellson. Ya, you start shooting those ranges it's a must have for sure. The least varience can turn a minite of angle into minite of BOX CAR at those ranges!!!! Not quite ,,,, but you know what I mean.

I wish you were closer, it would give you an opertunty to try out that Millet scope, I really like it allot, best damn 300 buck scope I've ever seen. The 6x 16 might not be enough for those ranges but they have a 6x24 with a 35mm tube that looks pretty interesting, can't vouge for it though, but the x16 is sharp and very clear with 0 distortion through out the zoom range. Mine is good at holding zero going from min to max power too, slight change but only a couple mm difference in POI @ 250, fine for hunting. But could be me for that matter, I'm all good with it. There pretty decent. When I get the jingle I'm really thinking about the x24 for the Bushmaster.

#8 ·
My only issue with the Millet are:

I HATE Mil-Dot reticules!

Not first focal plane.

So, I am thinking that the fixed 10 power Millet TRS-2 will work just dandy for a FAL or AR-10 that I will use at up to 700 Meters.

For the Mauser, I am going to have to go either Vortex ($800-$900), or US Optics ($TOO FUCKING MUCH). I have sat behind both, and they are the Bee's Knee's! There is a big difference between them. But for my purposes, the Vortex is probably going to be the one....

#9 ·
Mil dots are,,, OK but I really prefer the real fine reticule with the target dot myself for targets. Similer to what Nikon used to have before they went too shit. I'm STILL waiting for mt sister to get the estate settled an hopefully I end up with the Ballard with the old,,, real old X20 Redfeild,or Weaver on it , its longer than grand paws and not as bright as the modern scopes but it is the cats ass for long range use still, it has the mount with the micromiter halo ring and external spring, type mount. There an antqiue for sure but that thing really worked well and I used to kick ass with it back in the day. The original buyer of it was a real good friend of my Dads, I think I've mentioned before, and he won 5-6 Camp Perry match's with it over the years, back in the late60's, early 70's. I wish she would stop dragging her feet so we can draw straws to see who gets what guns of Pa's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get the Eagle Luger too,but time will tell, all in the luck of the draw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.