Gunco Forums banner

K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit

6K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
Just received mine and it does have matching numbers, the plum lower hand guard is lighter that the stock and upper handguard which look almost black.

The front trunion was drilled by a idiot, they drilled into the trunion on 2 of the rivets but I think the oles are salvageable. Two other holes are over-drilled, meaning the drill bit was bigger than the rivet, don't know if I can save these holes.

From purchasing other items from K-VAR this kit is a little low on quality but maybe were just getting the bottom of the barrel. They no doubt think that we'll buy anything and maybe that's true. I've seen other post about the front trunion damage, bad enough that some will have to weld up the holes (which I might have to do).
If I knew that I could get a better kit, I'd return it but it looks like their all in this shape!!!!

Anyone else get their AK-74 kit yet?

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
I just ordered one of these too. Now I'm kinda scared. I've never ordered a kit from them and I was counting on everything being just like the picture... matching furniture and orange bakelite bayonet. I'll be pretty upset if it isn't.

I never dealt with any company who advertised one thang and sent you another. This will be my first build and I don't need any extra trouble.

I wanted to order a Krink kit too but I'd be extra picky about the condition of it. Especially the wood.

#28 ·
Messiah Jones said:
I just ordered one of these too. Now I'm kinda scared. I've never ordered a kit from them and I was counting on everything being just like the picture... matching furniture and orange bakelite bayonet. I'll be pretty upset if it isn't.

I never dealt with any company who advertised one thang and sent you another. This will be my first build and I don't need any extra trouble.

I wanted to order a Krink kit too but I'd be extra picky about the condition of it. Especially the wood.
After going through this, my main concern would be the condition of the parts. Yeah, I liked the orange bakelite bayonet but I glady gave it up for proper condition parts. I doubt that the bayonet will ever see the light of day anyway.

#29 ·
I tried K-VARs "track order" link and all it does is tell me that the order is "completed". About how long does it take them to ship?

I've dealt with them a few times before and have been satisfied so I'm not downing them, but I will contact them if the stock doesn't match or there is a serious trunion problem.

If the stock colors don't match then I'd rather have just bought a kit with the wood stock for the cheaper price. The bayonet I can live with if the color is not like pictured. But the stock is different.

#30 ·
As far as I'm concerned, K-VAR's only real problem is "SHIPPING". I'm saying shipping because I don't know how the company deals with an order once given.

It just seems like it takes a long time to receive your order. It could be that they wait for so many orders then process them. One thing I do know is that there are companies that ship the same or the next day after you place your order. K-VAR dosen't do that.

My kit was the plum type and the color plum is very dark (almost black) but like the folks at K-VAR said (and I have to agree), "This is the way the country of origin assembles them and issues them". I know that the military isn't to concerned about matching colors.

#31 ·
Toten Kopf said:
As far as I'm concerned, K-VAR's only real problem is "SHIPPING". I'm saying shipping because I don't know how the company deals with an order once given.

It just seems like it takes a long time to receive your order. It could be that they wait for so many orders then process them. One thing I do know is that there are companies that ship the same or the next day after you place your order. K-VAR dosen't do that.

My kit was the plum type and the color plum is very dark (almost black) but like the folks at K-VAR said (and I have to agree), "This is the way the country of origin assembles them and issues them". I know that the military isn't to concerned about matching colors.
UPS gives discounts on volume shipments. That is why they probably "batch" them.

#32 · (Edited)
guys,
try to remember that these are "demilled military rifles"..."for replacement parts only"...in no way do they OWE anyone a perfect kit as some of you expect.....in order to keep cost effective, some expedience in dismantling should be tolerated....if you want a perfect speciman, buck up and buy a ready made rifle from some smith that is in flawless condition....quit *****in about nicks and overdrilled holes....if your skills do not allow for the minor repairs that these maladies require, pick a different hobby, before your pickiness ruins the hobby for the rest of us.....

bs

#33 ·
OMG, finally, someone who has all the answers. Gee, I didn't know we were supposed to lower our standards and accept anything a business sells.

I look at it this way, if I don't like it, I don't have to accept it. If the business will replace or exchange part/s for me that's cool, then they can sell them to someone like you who will accept anything (at least that's what I get from your post).

It's truly amazing that you can make a post like you did and not have all the facts. Could I have possibly paid for a "PERFECT CONDITION" kit, by calling and asking for one? Hmmmmmmmmmmm! And if that's the case, should I just accept anything? You tell me.

#34 ·
First post, and you're slamming great contributors to this board.... hmmm....
They are demilled military rifles, and a fair amount of money paid for them. The man wants what was promised. NEW UNISSUED CONDITION. Not new, except for the parts that were hacked and boogered up by the goons who were dismantling them. I'd do the same. If there were boogered up parts that needed more attention and work due to improper disassembly, they should tell you that, so you know what you are buying. They said new, new was expected, boogered up was shipped. It wasn't an aimed as an attack on your right to pay top dollar for junk, buy all you want. I'll be ordering a K-Var kit shortly, plum '74, and it had better be as advertised, or it's going back.

#35 ·
Well next time I get stuck with a real POS, I know who will pay full price for it from me. That way I don't have to bother having the vendor exchange it, just send it to black sheep and he will totally reimburse me. That's great.

#36 ·
1 post and you've really earned your name... I see a bright future for you here. I'm sure everyone will be champing at the bit to help you out from now on. Now that we know we're ruining the hobby for YOU, I'm sure we'll all lose a little sleep.

If I pay for a kit in UNISSUED condition, it better be that way. Unlike you, I am not content to accept a POS kit that was described otherwise. Centerfire has some really shitty PMKMS kits that a bunch of us returned. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell them all to you. Just let them know that you're willing to pay full price for garbage.

A lot of the vendors will bend over backwards to make things right for us. There's a lot of potential customers on these boards, and they have a reputation to keep up.

#37 ·
black sheep,

Judging by your first two posts, my guess is you didn't join here to make friends.
Have you by any chance reviewed our user agreement here?
If not, please do.

Here is number 1
1. Social Behavior
Please do not use unlawful, harmful, threatening, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward members of this forum or anyone else anywhere else.

Please think before you submit a comment - Would you feel offended if somebody said to you what you just wrote? If so, re-write it. If you?re not sure, re-write it.

This is an adult forum, therefore adult language is used. If you are easily offended, this forum isn't for you. This doesn?t mean every other word can annoyingly contain profanity. Please keep it to a minimum.

I think you are close to crossing the line with your post.
You can get your point across with out attacking other members.

As far as the kits go, I think that the kits should be measured by what has become the standard of the industry.
I have bought many different kits, from many different suppliers, so you get a feeling of what to expect.
The first kit I got from Kvar was all but unusable, the trunnions were drilled, in some cases more than half way through, with a .275 hole.

There was nothing wrong with these kits, they were beautiful, but many were butchered.

I sent mine back (the only kit I've ever returned) and they replaced it, which is good, but I'm out the $10 return shipping.

#38 ·
(Entire post by black sheep kept intact to prevent misquotes due to edits)

black sheep said:
rhino,
i doubt that anyone on this board COULD help me out....the reverse is likely to be true...
I seriously doubt we would want any of your input. Elitist comments like that belong on other boards.

black sheep said:
but wasting three pages of space pissing and moaning over such trivialities as over drilled rivets and the like is fukkng juvenile...
And yet you post in answer to a thread that hasn't had traffic in over 2 months. Most of us have let this go and moved on :deadhorse

black sheep said:
if the amateurs do not have the skills and abilities to deal with these things maybe they should take up golf.....and UNISSUED has NOTHING to do with the dismanteling of a kit....it has to do with the
condition BEFORE the demilling...idiot........have a nice day...
The point of these boards is to share ideas and help each other out with problems that may arise. We also warn people about problems with products and vendors.

When parts are referred to be in unissued to excellent condition and are received with trunnions and stock tangs over drilled or cut to the point of questionable operation, it has EVERYTHING to do with described condition.

A proper response from you would have been to post pics of how you welded and remilled your screwed up parts. Instead you decide to stir the pot and refer to the denizens of this board as "amateurs". Since a good portion of us are not licensed manufacturers or professional gunsmiths, yes we are.

And as for the "idiot" comment... I have a degree in Environmental Health Sciences, numerous State certifications and licenses, and I'm smart enough to know not to piss in my own swimming pool (i.e. this discussion board). You obviously have no concept of internet or BBS etiquette. Here's the link to the "Rules of the Land" post. You may want to check it out before making any more posts.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1754

black sheep said:
maybe look for a more lucrative job while you are at it....
Actually I make damn good money with my current job. I just don't piss it away on misrepresented product and accept what is sent as "good enough". I fail to see how my employment has anything to do with expecting a good product and then accepting junk in it's place. Perhaps you should elaborate on your last comment, as I don't really get the point of it. Maybe it's just because I'm an "idiot".

#40 ·
Obviously , Blacksheep is just a troll, let us not give him what all trolls want, that is, our very valuable time and attention. Let him troll another board then and leave us to our peace. My .02

#42 ·
Chiroone said:
Obviously , Blacksheep is just a troll, let us not give him what all trolls want, that is, our very valuable time and attention. Let him troll another board then and leave us to our peace. My .02
I second that, chiroone.:boxing: :thumbsdow :bangin: :grumble: :ahole: :shit: :bull: :barf: :flip: :asshole: :wallbash: :blowup: :pulverize :pulverize

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.