Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FWIW,

I purchased a $160 black kit almost 2 years ago and around that time everyone complained about the drilled-out trunions. At the time, they also completely de-milled the trigger guard, so all four trigger guard holes were the same.

All Bulgarian '74 kits I have ever seen are like that... of course everyone sold out about then and they have been hard to get back in until now, but of those I have seen, they are all like that.

Now BEFORE the kits completely sold out, you could find them with completely-removed rivets, and there were no machine marks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by madtrader
    I got my kit today also. Same deal on the front trunion. My rear trunion looks like a new part.
    Ditto, Although I don't think it will effect a rivet build, it may a screw build.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39
    Ditto, Although I don't think it will effect a rivet build, it may a screw build.
    I ordered the wood kit and it is really nice. One of the rivets was worked on a little aggressively by whoever took it apart. I don't think it will affect my screw build though. My amd63 did not have the same problems as my K-var kit. I didn't even notice the rivet work until I saw this thread.

Byg
    Feedback Score

I emailed K-Var about my rear trunion they said send it back and they will replace it...Ill see how it goes

Feedback Score

buy looking at the pictures i think you'll have zero problems with you're build. the rivet shank hole should still be at spec and the backside were the rivet is bucked and expanded is unmolested. if you're worried about the head walking, after you've pressed the berrel and punched out the rivets buy a countersink bit and carefully countersink the front two holes about the same as the rear hole is from the factory, but be sure you are on centerline with the hole, and use the tapered rivets this should prevent any headwalk. if its a screw build then the holes can be buggered up a little anyways, without too much grief. if you are still iffy after the above precautions rough up the mating surfaces of the trunnion and the reciever, clean them in boiling TSP solution, dry thoroughly and add a coat of duramix or jb weld to both surfaces and assemble the rivets or screws, believe me that puppy aint goin nowhere. now i'm not saying K-Var couldn't or shouldn't have done a better job, we need to let them know that the preferred method would be to grind the rivets flush or a little below the reciever stubb surface and then just pop it off with a screwdriver or chisel.
    i'm the guy who was ordering his kit when they found the plum mags in the warehouse and posted it on the "evil ak board". my kit is just about perfect so i can't complain, the only downside to this whole build is that i got shot out of the saddle on a plum bayonet purchase by "the mad scientist of low budget gunsmithing" hcpookie, but i still cant complain because the wealth of free info he posts is worth many times the value of a plum bayonett.
    70ss396 a.k.a. bigblock
    P.S.
    pookie,
    just joking about the shot out of the saddle thing, i've already got a line on another one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PLUM MAGS ARRIVED!

They have the Izshvek (sp?) markings too.

I'll put up pics later this afternoon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Is this the kit you guys are talking about?

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=211&1=212&3=607

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

With the problems you guys have had with the trunions, do you guys think it would still be worth it to order one?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 70ss396
    buy looking at the pictures i think you'll have zero problems with you're build. ... if its a screw build then the holes can be buggered up a little anyways, without too much grief...
    The problem is that they went too deep and actually removed some of the trunnion material.
    There is precious little material here for the threads to begin with.
    You would be lucky to get one or two complete threads, at least on the one I received.

I'm not too concerned because I use rivets, but I do not think I would attempt a screw build on it.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

John (at K-Var) emailed me today (boy, was that fast). He explained how the kits are taken apart (K-Var provides the working stardard on just how this will be accomplished). He guesses that some of the kits got through failing to meet these requirements. He has provided me with two (2) options.

#1 Return the complete parts set back to K-VAR and I will make sure to
    send you a replacement parts set in perfect condition.

#2 They will send me a new triggerguard assembly free (all the holes were overdrilled) and a new front trunion (for $29.99, normally $59.99).

I have decided to take option #1. Since I'm new to doing this kind of stuff, I feel that the less problems I have the better.

So, it seems that K-Var is quick to respond and also good at providing options to correct problems. No wonder they are rated as good as they are.

I will continue to let you know how this unfolds and the condition of the "NEW" perfect AK-74 kit when it arrives (which I'm sure will take time).

Overall, at this point, I'm pleased with the way K-Var is handling the problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.