Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Toten Kopf
    John (at K-Var) emailed me today (boy, was that fast). He explained how the kits are taken apart (K-Var provides the working stardard on just how this will be accomplished). He guesses that some of the kits got through failing to meet these requirements. He has provided me with two (2) options.

#1 Return the complete parts set back to K-VAR and I will make sure to
    send you a replacement parts set in perfect condition.

#2 They will send me a new triggerguard assembly free (all the holes were overdrilled) and a new front trunion (for $29.99, normally $59.99).

I have decided to take option #1. Since I'm new to doing this kind of stuff, I feel that the less problems I have the better.

So, it seems that K-Var is quick to respond and also good at providing options to correct problems. No wonder they are rated as good as they are.

I will continue to let you know how this unfolds and the condition of the "NEW" perfect AK-74 kit when it arrives (which I'm sure will take time).

Overall, at this point, I'm pleased with the way K-Var is handling the problem.
    Sorry that you have to go thru that. Sounds like they are doing the right thing. I saw that your trunnion was pretty well trashed. My question is this.......I have one trunnion hole that was drilled off center, but the other five are OK. Is it worth worrying about the one hole? It does not appear to be very deep, but I am new to this and will be doing a screw build. I would hate to have to go through the return process. I just want to build the sucker.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kpd007
    Sorry that you have to go thru that. Sounds like they are doing the right thing. I saw that your trunnion was pretty well trashed. My question is this.......I have one trunnion hole that was drilled off center, but the other five are OK. Is it worth worrying about the one hole? It does not appear to be very deep, but I am new to this and will be doing a screw build. I would hate to have to go through the return process. I just want to build the sucker.
    I don't know what to tell you, perhaps with pictures 7.62x39, hcpookie or some of the more experienced builders could give you an answer.

I look at the problem this way, you pay $xxx.xx for a kit, your paying for it to be undamaged. Why pay the same price for a damaged kit? By the way, these kits were from new rifles, never issued. Now if these damaged kits were all there were, I guess you would have to decide to keep as is or not (at a reduced price, maybe). But there is no reason to damage these kits, just poor work....The rip, shit or bust attitude.

I'm just hoping to get a good kit.

Feedback Score

Got mine today... front trunnion is perfect, but the trigger guard holes are all overdrilled (not completely through though), and the rear trunnion only has two knicks-good enough to build on. My only gripe is the trigger guard.
    Say hello to my little friend!!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

UPDATE......

K-VAR sent an email asking me to have the AK-74 parts kit properly packaged as they will be sending UPS to pick it up on Monday or Tuesday (I don't even have to pay for shipping!!!!!)

Also said that the replacement kit will be sent next week.

WOW....I am impressed!!!!! Just hope the replacement kit is better than what I had (with other companies I have ended up with worse). Will continue to let everyone know what's going on.

Feedback Score

Glad to hear it. I hope I'll receive the same service about my trigger guard.
    Say hello to my little friend!!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Thumbs up

Well, I received my replacement AK-74 kit from K-VAR today. All parts seem to be in very good condition. The front trunnion is in very good shape (compared to the first one I got), the only thing that I could see was that the lefthand center rivet hole did get slightly nicked (but nothing to worry about), am I picky or what? The trigger guard is a complete unit still attached to what's left of the receiver so I'll have to drill out the rivets. As a side note the trigger guard portion of the receiver had the trigger pin depression only on one side, I always remember it being on both sides. All in all, I'm pleased with the replacement kit.

All parts appear to be matching, the only part I didn't check was the carrier (didn't want to open the wrapper), even the extractor has a number on it!
    The only thing I do miss is that orange colored bayonet, I got a black one this time (numbers match other parts).

And as in the first kit I got, this also appears to be unfired. So, K-VAR did good!!!!! I'm glad the little ordeal is over and I can start to worry about other things like the build. Now I just hope I can get the drill press overhaul completed quickly.

Feedback Score

I just ordered one of these too. Now I'm kinda scared. I've never ordered a kit from them and I was counting on everything being just like the picture... matching furniture and orange bakelite bayonet. I'll be pretty upset if it isn't.

I never dealt with any company who advertised one thang and sent you another. This will be my first build and I don't need any extra trouble.

I wanted to order a Krink kit too but I'd be extra picky about the condition of it. Especially the wood.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah Jones
    I just ordered one of these too. Now I'm kinda scared. I've never ordered a kit from them and I was counting on everything being just like the picture... matching furniture and orange bakelite bayonet. I'll be pretty upset if it isn't.

I never dealt with any company who advertised one thang and sent you another. This will be my first build and I don't need any extra trouble.

I wanted to order a Krink kit too but I'd be extra picky about the condition of it. Especially the wood.
    After going through this, my main concern would be the condition of the parts. Yeah, I liked the orange bakelite bayonet but I glady gave it up for proper condition parts. I doubt that the bayonet will ever see the light of day anyway.

Feedback Score

I tried K-VARs "track order" link and all it does is tell me that the order is "completed". About how long does it take them to ship?

I've dealt with them a few times before and have been satisfied so I'm not downing them, but I will contact them if the stock doesn't match or there is a serious trunion problem.

If the stock colors don't match then I'd rather have just bought a kit with the wood stock for the cheaper price. The bayonet I can live with if the color is not like pictured. But the stock is different.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

As far as I'm concerned, K-VAR's only real problem is "SHIPPING". I'm saying shipping because I don't know how the company deals with an order once given.

It just seems like it takes a long time to receive your order. It could be that they wait for so many orders then process them. One thing I do know is that there are companies that ship the same or the next day after you place your order. K-VAR dosen't do that.

My kit was the plum type and the color plum is very dark (almost black) but like the folks at K-VAR said (and I have to agree), "This is the way the country of origin assembles them and issues them". I know that the military isn't to concerned about matching colors.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.