Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Thumbs down K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit

Just received mine and it does have matching numbers, the plum lower hand guard is lighter that the stock and upper handguard which look almost black.

The front trunion was drilled by a idiot, they drilled into the trunion on 2 of the rivets but I think the oles are salvageable. Two other holes are over-drilled, meaning the drill bit was bigger than the rivet, don't know if I can save these holes.

From purchasing other items from K-VAR this kit is a little low on quality but maybe were just getting the bottom of the barrel. They no doubt think that we'll buy anything and maybe that's true. I've seen other post about the front trunion damage, bad enough that some will have to weld up the holes (which I might have to do).
    If I knew that I could get a better kit, I'd return it but it looks like their all in this shape!!!!

Anyone else get their AK-74 kit yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit-reclh1.jpg  

K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit-recrh1.jpg  

K-VAR AK-74 Plum Kit-recrh2.jpg  

Feedback Score

UPS tried to deliver mine today but I wasn't home to sign for it so I'll get it tomorrow... I sure as hell hope mine isn't like that!
    Say hello to my little friend!!

Byg
    Feedback Score

Mann,mine look worst then that...I aint too happy about it..I think we should all let K-var know how shitty they look

Feedback Score

Looks like they only went as deep as needed to free the rivet. A couple aren't centered too well but they shouldn't prevent anyone from making a solid rivet or screw build. When you drill out rivets you do use a bit with a larger diameter than the rivet shank.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

At the price I paid for this kit it should be perfect. All that was needed to be done was just remove the rivet head. The idiot didn't have to drill into the trunion. The AMD-63 kit I got before this was done right.

When you drill out a rivet you only need to remove the head, then you use smaller drills working up to remove the stem. Done this before, many times. You never have to damage the work to remove a rivet!

I will be contacting K-VAR and letting them know how disappointed I am with the kit. But I guess the only recourse they have is to take it back or maybe provide me with a good trunion.

Edited to add: Okay, I sent an email to K-VAR letting them know about the kit. I'll post their response when I get one.

Feedback Score

I got my kit today also. Same deal on the front trunion. My rear trunion looks like a new part.

Feedback Score

Sorry to hear this guys. This really is not typical of K-Var. I have a 74 kit purchased from them about 6 months ago. It is perfect.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Damn, I sure hate to hear that. I was going to order one, I think I wait to see how this turns out.

Feedback Score

I had a kit form them, that still had the front part of the receiver attached.. I would prefer this, as I know I woulnt do that bad of a job removing the rivets..
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mike26038
    I had a kit form them, that still had the front part of the receiver attached.. I would prefer this, as I know I woulnt do that bad of a job removing the rivets..

Mine hasn't arrived yet but I'll be looking it over thoroughly. Mike, I think the receiver parts are being removed to avoid hassles with the feds, torch cut or not. I've seen a kit posted (I think it was here), where the full auto fcg was still in a section of the 3 times cut receiver. Not that it's illegal (I wouldn't know for sure) but one heck of a template to those who might be tempted.

? Not to be negative but K-var does sell trunnions, right...? Perhaps they got a better deal on these kits that made theirs $30-40 less than other companies were selling for... (and to think I traded a mint unissued '74 trunnion I thought I'd never need for a Russian sling)
    "Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you is the nature of my game" -efil4zaggin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.