Gunco Forums banner

Very poor man's bend jig - lol

171K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:

Attachments

See less See more
#247 ·
When I purchased the bar stock, didn't have a tape measure, only a pocket rule. I had guessed the bar to be 24" Turns out to be 29" which is better. The holes in the bar, after cutting in half wouldn't let the bars line up end to end. But that's not a problem. One just sticks out a bit from the other.

#248 ·
Now to bolt it all together, which was easy enough as I have a nine lb. bag of various stainless socket head bolts I'd picked up at the scrap yard a while back for $6.
Glory be, got my jig ready, flat bolted down, would go out to the shop and try it, but it's cold and wet today, so i'm just going explore 'gunco' as now I have my 10 required post to look at the pics! Kind of like turning sixteen and being allowed into the back racks at the old news stand!

#251 ·
I suggest using 2 inch steel angle that is 1/4 inch thick for the frame of the bend jig. The end bolts also need more beef. Here should be two 3/8 inch bolts per end to further enhance stiffness. Bolts with all thread and 3 nuts each will allow adjustment of the jig opening.

The original design will flex and ruin your flats big time unless that jig is clamped with numerous large C-clamps and even pinched in a large vise.

To help "guide" the flat into the jig some 1 ¼ x 1/2 inch bar stock is useful. The economy of the cheaper materials for the jig is instantly lost with the first ruined flat.

VD in AZ

#252 ·
Mine is a little more labor intensive than a store bought jig, but it has bent I dare say close to 50 flats, and I've only had one that didn't come out right, and that was my fault by not wiping it down before bolting inbetween the inner die halves. The flat slid about 1/4" to one side when pressing. The rest turned out virtually perfect.

#257 ·
It should be in the Library. Check there first.

#258 ·
This is epic, I finally got around to joining the forum that got me started making AK tooling.

Mad props grasshopper, thanks to you I was able to make my own years ago and bend my first flat using your design.

I have modified it over the years but the general concept is still there.

#260 ·
Ok I am reviving this thread because what I am looking for is on page 1 and thought the new guys could use to read this

I went through all 26 pages and I am not in it but I was a member then, then it occurred to me I never used flats so it was redundant for me
but I need this design to make a box receiver for a Ar-180 style rifle I think this will work with modifications

thanks to grasshopper where ever he may be and to all the past members who contributed to this thread some have sadly passed away

when gunco was gunco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.