Gunco Forums banner

Very poor man's bend jig - lol

171K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Here is the material list from lowes.
3' long 1" angle
3' long 1 1/4" X 1/4" bar (I used 3/16, it bent a little)
2 3" long 5/16 bolts
4 1 1/4" long 5/16 bolts
12 5/16 nuts
Or just use whatever angles,bars,bolts and nuts you have laying around.

Ok, this is how i did it.
Cut 2 pieces of 13" long angles and 2 pieces of 10.5" long bars
Clamp the angles together and drill 5/16 holes at each end. about .5" from the end. Put the 3" bolts in and you got a frame.
Put the flat over the 10.5" bar and center it as much as you can. Trace the Mag well, trigger, grip openings on the bar. Mark the alignment holes on the bar also. Now, you have a general idea on where to drill the holes
Measure to find the center of the bar for the alignment holes and center punch it. Put the flat over it to double check.
Clamp the 2 bars together and drill. I used 1/8" for the alignment holes and 5/16 for the rest. Drill 2 in the mag well, 1 in trigger and 1 in grip.
Use a dremel to clear out a space for the mag well indent and you are done with the bars.
Sandwich the flat between the bars. Use some finish nails to make sure the alignment holes are lined up. Bolt it tight.
I measured the trunnion to be a little over 1 1/4"(32mm) and adjusted the frame to 34mm (1mm flat) wide.
Tighten the nuts, spray on some Wonder Dew 40 and it is hammer time. I would have used a vice but it wouldn't fit in to mine.
I hope that helps.
My next Jig project is a Doct Taped rivet jig. ok Just kidding.

Attachments

#14 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
Dude! That is too simple! Next thing you know there will be a post saying:

"I just bent a flat using a bobby pin and 3 tooth picks" or something similar soon :D

Rock on!
I think Winn is working on that! :hatprop:

#15 ·
Cephus said:
JUST USING MY MIND HAVEN'T GOT IT YET
Cephus--You'll be dangerous when find it!!:rofl:

After giving some advice once, I was told "before I'd use your mind, I'd use my own"!!!

I kinda like that.

Grasshopper-- I use those Lowes bars for everything-- that looks good!!

#17 ·
#19 ·
Golovko said:
I notice that bar stock from Lowes tends to be somewhat rounded along the narrow sides. That didn't cause you any grief during the bending process?
It has not been a problem for me. The only problem i can see is with the rear trunion and if you are building a pistol or folder. I just put the rear end again the angle and hammer it a few time. a little filing will fix it too. I am working on an upgrade that will make the top rail bending easier.

#20 ·
My first build is an AMD-65, and rounded corners at the bottom of the receiver would have been a problem. I used 1-1/4" bar stock ($12) from a local "Metals Supermarkets" (they're on the web, too); no Lowe's stores anywhere near me. The sharp-cornered bar stock made nice crisp bottom corners. Used one of the bars with an oak wedge underneath to bend the top rails. Came out practically perfect.

The info I got on this site made it possible to build a functional rifle my first try. Thanks to all you contributors for sharing the much appreciated info. Cadapult

#22 ·
Grasshopper, Great jig! Especially for those who are too economically disadvantaged to buy a proper press and incapable of building or buy one of those heavy duty jigs. I've always figured if the Afgans can build an AK in their bicycle shops, I should be able to do it in my garage.

Please provide more details/photos on how to bend the top rails using your jig.

#26 ·
going GREAT here, Cephus, thanks for asking, buddy.....
I've been Crazy busy for the last couple of months with a new job, and trying to get my house spruced up to sell and relocate my family in the area of my new job.Hopefully I'll be back to my regular mischief here in the next couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.