Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score

Not having done a Yugo yet, that is good information. Has anyone tried this jig yet on a Yugo build?

Feedback Score

Thumbs up I Love this Jig !

Damm !

Save the $150 for the jig and the $200 for the shop press, buy a couple extra Romy kits and some more flats !

I built this jig as gunslingingcowboy did, works like a charm ! I bent 2 so far, no problems.
    Thanks for a great idea Bro !

LrrpScout

Feedback Score

Default Correction on my last----redirect fire !

My last post I thanked gunslingingcowboy for the idea of the poorman's bending jig.

But, Kudos should go to where they are due, Grasshopper was the progenitor of this great idea.

Sorry for the brain fart !

Thanks again man, you're my hero !!!

LrrpScout

Feedback Score

Postak Anybody regularly using this jig?

Is anybody using this jig on a regular basis? If so, are there any refinements or tips for use worth noting?

I am thinking about using one of these instead of a prebent.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Question

Anybody?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I built one similar to JRoybal's, using 3 grade-8 bolts to pull the flat through the angle iron. The flat turned out good, but I'm going to brace it up some more to keep it from flexing on the next one. There were some waves in the sides, but after tapping the upper rails over while sandwiched in the vise the sides are nice and straight.

I used Turtle Wax on the sides of the angle iron and the flat. The ol "slicker than cat snot on a tile floor" approach worked well.

Feedback Score

I could not find a thick enough piece for the inner bars so I tried using two with a third on the bottom. The bottom one was ever so slightly to the left so the inner was shifted too far to the right and therefore it was not leaving enough room for the flat to fold. So I am in the process of narrowing the lower plate to allow the bend. So a work in progress.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoshay
    I built one similar to JRoybal's, using 3 grade-8 bolts to pull the flat through the angle iron. The flat turned out good, but I'm going to brace it up some more to keep it from flexing on the next one. There were some waves in the sides, but after tapping the upper rails over while sandwiched in the vise the sides are nice and straight.

I used Turtle Wax on the sides of the angle iron and the flat. The ol "slicker than cat snot on a tile floor" approach worked well.
    Brace it? Where? I was thinking of using a large "C" Clamp about mid point on the angle iron to keep it from bowing. Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks for replying.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO
    I could not find a thick enough piece for the inner bars so I tried using two with a third on the bottom. The bottom one was ever so slightly to the left so the inner was shifted too far to the right and therefore it was not leaving enough room for the flat to fold. So I am in the process of narrowing the lower plate to allow the bend. So a work in progress.
    What thickness barstock are you using for the inner bars? What would be optimum 0.25''?

thanks

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdtxcav
    What thickness barstock are you using for the inner bars? What would be optimum 0.25''?

thanks
    I only had access to the 3/16" stuff that he mentioned as bowing on page 1 or 2. 1/4" would be better.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.