Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score

Man this idea has got me excited!!!Im ready to start building.

Feedback Score

on the 1/8th alignment holes... i lay them out by scribing a square line then scribing 45 angle lines and centerpunching where they meet.. that works pretty good, to within 3 or 4 thousandths/" i've also been off as much as a 20 thousandths and had to trash a few bars. is there a better way to do this? I'd like to get them to be perfectly center for some reason oh and I am using a $40 dollar HF drill press so maybe I should consider myself lucky I've gotten them as accurate as they are

Gunco Member Windage and Elevation's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I just gotta try this! I must be nutz.......
    I was not delivered into this world into defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd.
    I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep.
    The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
    I will persist until I succeed.

Feedback Score

ahh i figured it out, 3100 rpm and using brand new spotting/centering bits works good.. bent one up today and it came out perfect.

I imagine if you screw/mig weld your lower rails and use the TAPCO flat that has the top rails formed you can install the lower rails prior to bending which would make the process a bit easier
    Last edited by theman; 07-04-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdtxcav
    I was thinking of backing up the interior of my male jig with a piece of Oak or similar hard wood, topped with another strip of barstock. This would then be used as a form for folding the top rails. It would also help to keep the jig straight as it is pulled through the outer jig.
    | :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::\_________)
    |:::::::::::::::::::::::: Wood:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;|
    |::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::;;:|
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------Flat

An oak wedge backed-up with a piece of bar stock and clamped between two pieces of 3x3x12" long angle is how I've bent the top rails on my flats. Make the wedge a bit long and you can slide it in and out to adjust height at one end, then shim the other end to get the angle perfect. If the wedge is 1.25" wide it gets clamped tightly in the vise so it doesn't move, and it keeps the sides from deforming.
    Cadapult

Feedback Score

What is the measurement between the two angle pieces? 1 1/4" plus 2mm? (1mm each side for the flat to fit.) Or is there more room?

Thanks

Feedback Score

ok, lets say you dont want to permanently alter the 2 rails that form the jig... you press down the flat through the jig, and the jig as you would expect, has bowed in the middle, bows out before you remove the blank from the die and the jig; you crush the outside edges of the lower part of the jig with a vise, thereby crushing the radius of the lower bends onto the flat and thus the jig, saving yourself both time and money and still getting a great looking bent flat... WEll, it works.... perfectly formed flats with low cost jig

Feedback Score

????
    anyone try this for a yugo underfolder? do the dimensions of the jig need to be changed? i mseasure the width of the receiver to be 1.2 bit the stock bar i can get a hold of is 1.25, any suggestion?
    thanks

Feedback Score

Default Another Failure...

I built the jig this weekend and made my first attempt today. The bends didn't come out crisp on the bottom of the receiver. The mag well didn't form correctly and the front rails aren't aligned right. Not bad for a first attempt, but I guess I need to remeasure and try again. It is discouraging but I will try another time.

I don't know if I will be able to salvage this flat now that it is bent wrong. I'm probably screwed. I formed the magazine well with a hammer and pulled the flat through the vise once more and it looks better, but still not good enough to work. Axis pins don't go all the way through.

I noticed that the bar stock that I purchased from Lowe's is not even at all. It is shaped more like a trapezoid than a rectangle. I wonder if this had anything to do with my failure.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Feedback Score

Default Used this Jig myself

I built this Jig, and I like how it works.

I used 1/2" bolts (2 in the Mag well) instead of 3/8s, and 3 pieces of steel. I used allthread to get the distance set on the angle iron, and then had my neighbor weld some spare steel across it so it would stay.

I used the method of pullng the flat through with nuts and washers...much more controlled bend if you ask me. Plus this gives you the opportunity to get everything lined up fairly well before tightening the bolts.

After the initial pull through the angle iron, the sides were still not at 90 degrees, so I kept the now 80% bent flat bolted to the 3 steel pieces. I put a piece of hardwood on each side, then used my vice to make the bends to 100% 90 degrees. I think it came out very well.

I like to build underfolders, so no pre-bent top rails out there to be purchased...at least not yet. I have access to a brake, and bent them first.

I have now bult 2 receivers using this Jig, and if a person takes their time, tightens everything down well, and finishes with a vice it should come out very well.

I am now using the extra $200.00 or so on a Romy.

Regards,

Thom

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
grasshopper jig ak47
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

poor mans flat bending jig

poormans flat bending jigs plans
very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.