Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

That Files build is functional I'm sure, but IMO the left front receiver area just looks third-world fugly with the sheet metal gap over the relieved milled front.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    That Files build is functional I'm sure, but IMO the left front receiver area just looks third-world fugly with the sheet metal gap over the relieved milled front.
    I've gotta agree with you... Milled kits are just to cool to be subjected to that. Ah well, that's what happens when no one wants to build them and they are on a budget... can't say the thought didn't cross my mind too!

I'm glad that I am doing proper weld builds... Honestly, I think they might be less work than the stamped receivers. Fitting the pieces went pretty quick. The rails need to be done and I am debating as to fitting the rails, heat treating them and welding them in place before I weld the repair plates and stubs together.

Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Help me out here....I'm as green as grass but I don't want to screw up my first build.
    I think I see now from the pictures the gap that you are talking about.
    As you look at the picture that shows the left side of the trunion, is that a flat surface where the reciever attaches or are there two different elevations?
    If it was your kit, how would you start off? Just looking for some suggestions.
    I don't mind third world but I don't want slop either.

thanks

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

There's a relief cut on the left-front of the M64 receiver. That builder used the receiver stubs to create pseudo-trunnions. Nothing wrong with that, there have been some fine builds using stubs for trunnions.

But, that relief cut is apparently too deep to relieve the entire side of the stub to make it a smooth "trunnion" so you end up with a gap between the sheet-metal receiver and the fashioned trunnion in the area of that relief cut.

I actually bought an M64 kit a while back. Mine's with turbothis for a reweld. Personally, I don't see any way to fashion an M64 with a sheet metal receiver that would avoid the gap, above. Maybe somebody could brainstorm a good-looking solution, but I can't. Just the nature of the beast.

And, while I think screw builds can make some fine firearms, the combo of that gap and the screws is just plain ugly to me.

There are no M64 receivers for sale, and none in planning that I'm aware of. Reweld seems to be the only way to go, at least to me.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Maybe I'll reconsider once the kit arrives and I can look it over and maybe understand how all these parts fit together. Maybe this was not the best kit for a first time build.
    I see Apex (where I bought the kit) has the milled repair kits soon.....I'll have to read more about how these go together.

Rapid City?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Walton View Post
    Maybe I'll reconsider once the kit arrives and I can look it over and maybe understand how all these parts fit together. Maybe this was not the best kit for a first time build.
    I see Apex (where I bought the kit) has the milled repair kits soon.....I'll have to read more about how these go together.

Rapid City?
    An M64 build is an advanced build. A Romanian Gardia kit would be a great starter. A milled "repair" kit is a milled center section that must be welded to the front and rear receiver stubs. It's probably a GREAT repair kit, but only if you can weld well or can afford an FFL07 to do it for you.

Born in Rapid, currently hanging my hat in Sioux Falls for Nuclear Medicine Technologist training.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well I appreciate your help....I thought about it last night and really all I want right now is cheap and functional. So most likely I'll proceed with a homemade bent reciever. Or I may decide to trade or sell for a Romanian kit.....I've seen them mentioned quite a bit. I'll have to look around for available kits.
    When I was younger I banged around alot out there....Gillette, Billings, Rapid City.
    Hope your schooling goes well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Walton View Post
    Well I appreciate your help....I thought about it last night and really all I want right now is cheap and functional. So most likely I'll proceed with a homemade bent reciever. Or I may decide to trade or sell for a Romanian kit.....I've seen them mentioned quite a bit. I'll have to look around for available kits.
    When I was younger I banged around alot out there....Gillette, Billings, Rapid City.
    Hope your schooling goes well.
    You might consider the AMD 65 as well. Combined with just about any other press in 7.62x39 barrel and a little ingenuity this can be a pretty straight forward build as well. The lack of AMD-65 barrels is a problem but adding a Romy barrel and gas tube is pretty trivial. Slightly more advanced than a straight matching numbers build but not too bad.

If you can afford the time to do a reweld on the M64 and you can weld to begin with (even pretty poor welding will suffice to be honest.) then I would not hesitate to get the repair plates. For some it might take more time and patience than a flat build but you end up with a killer looking rifle.

I wouldn't shy away from the M64 if you get a matching numbers one with a good barrel, as a lot of the "work" is done for you. No pressing barrels, no setting head space, no bending flats.

Cheap and functional are achievable with either the reweld or flat build. Both require about the same amount of work in the end, especially with the M64. I have an idea that may work well for repair plates on the CHEAP. There were some TAPCO Yugo flats that were being clearanced for $5 each, cutting them down the middle would make instant repair plates. Cheezy, yes... but seeing that they are .063 wall plates, they might work well.

The Tapco shown below is actually going to be used on the bottom of my M70 build, but you can see how for the M64 it would make a nice repair plate if cut at the proper point and fitted correctly. It won't look as nice as a milled plate, but it certainly meets the definition of cheap and functional... especially when you consider the top rail is already bent and properly shaped.... Why didn't I think of this earlier, LOL.

Mark

PS - Gun Parts Guy AK Yugo Underfolder Receiver Flat, Blemished <- Blemished TAPCO flats. I should have been smart!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    You might consider the AMD 65 as well. Combined with just about any other press in 7.62x39 barrel and a little ingenuity this can be a pretty straight forward build as well. The lack of AMD-65 barrels is a problem but adding a Romy barrel and gas tube is pretty trivial. Slightly more advanced than a straight matching numbers build but not too bad.

If you can afford the time to do a reweld on the M64 and you can weld to begin with (even pretty poor welding will suffice to be honest.) then I would not hesitate to get the repair plates. For some it might take more time and patience than a flat build but you end up with a killer looking rifle.

I wouldn't shy away from the M64 if you get a matching numbers one with a good barrel, as a lot of the "work" is done for you. No pressing barrels, no setting head space, no bending flats.

Cheap and functional are achievable with either the reweld or flat build. Both require about the same amount of work in the end, especially with the M64. I have an idea that may work well for repair plates on the CHEAP. There were some TAPCO Yugo flats that were being clearanced for $5 each, cutting them down the middle would make instant repair plates. Cheezy, yes... but seeing that they are .063 wall plates, they might work well.

The Tapco shown below is actually going to be used on the bottom of my M70 build, but you can see how for the M64 it would make a nice repair plate if cut at the proper point and fitted correctly. It won't look as nice as a milled plate, but it certainly meets the definition of cheap and functional... especially when you consider the top rail is already bent and properly shaped.... Why didn't I think of this earlier, LOL.

Mark

PS - Gun Parts Guy AK Yugo Underfolder Receiver Flat, Blemished <- Blemished TAPCO flats. I should have been smart!!!
    hey thanks mark.....now I'm leaning in another different direction. The kit comes in Tues. I'm anxious to get it in my hands and get a feel for it. Quite frankly I don't understand all the lingo here but you guys sure are helpful. I'll keep you posted....I'm sure like any pup that I'll have lots of questions.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I think you'll need to somehow create the left top-cover relief if you use a flat for a repair section. Or, use a different cover.

May need to use two flats due to the small amount of steel removed in seperating a flat into three sections.

Don't forget to blend or remove the upper lip from the rear receiver stub.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

poor mans ak bending jig

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.