Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chuangtzu View Post
    I only planned on building one, but the futzed first one caused me to build a second. If this doesn't work though, I might look into renting a jig from somebody.

What does the step jig do that the normal jig doesn't? I take it there is supposed to be a step in the upper rails but I have no idea what this means...
    thats how i started-only intended to build just one!(there kinda like potatochips)i couldntget th rails right myself with the grasshopper
    so i figured if i get more kits thatll justify getting the ak builder jig
    when the ak design switched from the milled reciever of old to the newly stamped reciever the stepped rail was put in place so that they can use the
    same bolt and carrier -if you look at some of the reciever stubs from demills
    you might be able to see it-it looks like a groove in the rail from up top
    i have my jig on loan right now for a while otherwise i would loan it to you
    i wont be getting it back untill after christmas-when your post count gets up to speed or even before post in the classifides that you are lookin to rent one-im sure theres others willing to help out
    yea sj in semi its probably not neccesary but it would probably function a lot smoother-ill have to put that on my christmas whish list-and make the appropriate notch on the die for where it fits(i allso should order more dremel bits!!!! )

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    That rocks.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but how you plan on doing the rails?
    Rails get spot welded on once it is all complete

Feedback Score

Looks just like the one I made! I use long bolts to pull the flat through the jig resulting in near perfect bends. I also use a lot of grease on the flat to insure a smooth bend and easy pull.

Feedback Score

Great thread! Does anyone have more info on the top rail and the best way to bend with limited tool at home.

I am definitely going to try this. I like the idea of an under folder, but in ‘Komifornia’ it’s got to be a minimum of 30” folded. How would I add 7” to the length of an under folder? Are there REALLY longer muzzle brakes/flash hiders?

Sorry for all the questions.

hk404me
    Hey Arnold, how about you shoot in your movies only what is legal to shoot ‘Comiefornia’???

Feedback Score

he's like the macgyver of weapon building

Feedback Score

I'm still leery.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hk404me View Post
    Great thread! Does anyone have more info on the top rail and the best way to bend with limited tool at home.

I am definitely going to try this. I like the idea of an under folder, but in ‘Komifornia’ it’s got to be a minimum of 30” folded. How would I add 7” to the length of an under folder? Are there REALLY longer muzzle brakes/flash hiders?

Sorry for all the questions.

hk404me
    hk404me - bending the top rail can be done different ways. There are some threads with discussion about here at gunco. As for a long muzzle brake, maybe you could get one custom made to the length that you want.
    I've seen some long muzzle brakes, but aren't positive to how long they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeie View Post
    I'm still leery.
    Leery of????
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

Alright. No more being leery...

I bit the bullet and spent the $10 at Lowes. Assembled. Measured 4x.

Although there was a little bowing on the 1" angle iron and the 3/8ths bar stock did bow a little too, the method worked perfectly the first time.

I do see how important getting the bar bolts tight to hold the flat steady, grease, and a press. Piece of cake.

Jeepers. Step up the angle to 1.5 or 2 and the bar stock to 1/4 and forget the $100+ jigs. Only solution they have over this is the dimensions for top rail built in. Poor man's solution is to buy flats with the top rails prebent.

Feedback Score

This Jig with Ak-Builder's (Curtis's) new flats with stepped top rails already bent = one super easy receiver.

Feedback Score

Hello all,
    I am new here 1st post and I know I am throwing this on the end of an old but still Germain thread. A buddy and I have decided to start with flat builds and have never been down this road before. I just bought my 1st HF spot welder and powder coating system. Is the "grasshopper" still considered a viable solution or has it been supplanted by still simpler/cheaper idea?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
grasshopper jig ak47
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

poor mans flat bending jig

poormans flat bending jigs plans
very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.