Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score

Hello all,
    I am new here 1st post and I know I am throwing this on the end of an old but still Germain thread. A buddy and I have decided to start with flat builds and have never been down this road before. I just bought my 1st HF spot welder and powder coating system. Is the "grasshopper" still considered a viable solution or has it been supplanted by still simpler/cheaper idea?
    Not by any means. Don't even mess around with anything but an AK Builder flat. They now have a flat that has the top rails bent and stepped down...just like the originals. Before Curtis came up with his new flats with this option you had to spend $250.00 + on an expensive jig to make a quality receiver out of a flat. Now anybody with basic tools can use this "poorman's jig" and patience to bend a beautiful flat. When i did my first build all i heard was " Buy an NDS". This was not what i wanted to hear. At first i had a heck of a time bending the upper rails. Now Curtis at AK Builder has worked his magic once again! Alot of guys are selling there old jigs to replace them with his new $150.00 jig which if you are going to do a couple of builds i suggest buying...especially if a buddy is going half with you. Buy Curtis' spot welder setup as this is the essential tool to making a quality receiver out of a flat. I used to drill holes in the flat and mig weld them shut. Crude but effective. I am on a short income...had to make things work with what i had. Prior warning though... if you build an AK yourself it becomes addicting!
    Good luck and have fun,TB
    Last edited by thrillbilly77; 06-02-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Typo
    IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE

Feedback Score

I got to try this

Feedback Score

Do you have any plans or can you tell me what you need to build this jig.

Feedback Score

Using a piece of precision ground 0-1 tool steel from MSC with the edges filed makes for a good part for the inside of the tool.

Feedback Score

To help guide your flat through use longer bolts to clamp the flat and add another 1 1/4" piece of bar stock spaced with nuts.

Feedback Score

If you want it to be easier to do and weld to the sides of the 1 1/4" spacer ground to add 1.5 mm or .060" to each of the four corners of the 'guide plate'

Mr. Riverbottom mr. riverbottom's Avatar
    Feedback Score

great thread, i've gotta build one for myself
    Never Forget, Never Forgive
    Airborne All the Way!

Feedback Score

Just so I understand, you use the angle bars as the die, and use the 2 slats as a sandwich, then place sandwiched flat on top and press it into the die using a hydraulic press?

Feedback Score

Yes, that's essentially how it works. Keep in mind that beefier angle iron will resist being distorted in the process. Lube on the die frame and sheet steel flat helps things slide.

The original grasshopper design was rather flexible and flimsy so he used extra clamps and a big vise to help keep it all square.

Welcome to gunco !!!

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 08-02-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add info

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Yes, that's essentially how it works. Keep in mind that beefier angle iron will resist being distorted in the process. Lube on the die frame and sheet steel flat helps things slide.

The original grasshopper design was rather flexible and flimsy so he used extra clamps and a big vise to help keep it all square.

Welcome to gunco !!!

VD

Thank you Viper Dude.

Something else that puzzles me, is how do you align the flat? are you guys just measuring each side when sandwiched, and then holding your breath as you begin to apply force?

I'm imagining the width of the flat after bend is 1.25 + .036x2. Also, did I read correctly that people are having better luck bending all of one end, then working the other? I was imaging it would be a back and forth easing process.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
grasshopper jig ak47
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

poor mans flat bending jig

poormans flat bending jigs plans
very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.