Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Lamedecoy View Post
    Thank you Viper Dude.

Something else that puzzles me, is how do you align the flat? are you guys just measuring each side when sandwiched, and then holding your breath as you begin to apply force?

I'm imagining the width of the flat after bend is 1.25 + .036x2.
    Snug the bolts that hold the flat and you won't have to hold your breath. Use calipers or anything that will hold your desired measuerment centering your flat equally on your die. I use a peice of wood to tap back and forth till it's centered. I record the measurements so the next time I know where to start. Then as you fully tighten the bolts keep checking and you are ready to bend.

Feedback Score

Measure the placement of the flat carefully to get it centered between the die bar mandrel (slats) and bolt the package together securely. I suggest using a much thicker lead-in die bar to help keep the process oriented squarely while forming.

Pressing or pounding one end of this sandwich at a time was done to ease the forming process and is rather mickey mouse. It risks creating a misshaped product. Thicker die bars (slats) also help maintain orientation of the work being pressed in the die (angle iron assembly). However... the inner die bar slat(s) must accomodate the indentations already present in the flat or you may damage these indentations.

These days we have edge-folded flats available which are a great help obtaining a useful frame.

VD

Feedback Score

[quote=captskip9;301897]
    Quote Originally Posted by zougou
    Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.
    lookin good!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Delmarksman View Post
    Rex,
    Have you thought about using the Auto Zone Pulley Puller to press out your barrels? $20 and about 20 min. grinding a couple small reliefs into the jaws so that they fit the trunion better. I have pressed out a bunch a barrels with it using only a 1/2" drive ratchet and a few pennies. I do put the jaws in my vise to ensure that they don't pop off during the press. But other than that It's almost too easy.

Here's a couple pics;

awesome, clever

Feedback Score

Hey brother would you please email the plans for the home built bending jig you made?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

See if this helps Cris
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/ver...jig-lol-49527/

Welcome to the forum
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

For me I kept on looking on line and reading and looking at the pictures. I have the bottom portion of poor mans jigg complete. I used one by one angle iron is 19 and 1/8 inch long. I used four three inch boltz spaced 1 and 1/2 inch apart. 1 and 1/2 inch from the ends. The I used 1/2 by 1/2 bar stock 12 inches long to support the rails on both sides. This was tack welded on, am not a good welder, but it is done. Then I took, shorter pices of the 1 inch by 1 inch angle iron and spot welded it to the ends for more support. These supports are 4 and 3/4 of an inch long tacked to the ends.

This is what I have so far.

Feedback Score

in sportsman's guide they have a akm receiver blank for $29.79 all facyory new and legal because thier classified as blanks, because there are no holes drilled in them all other parts are cut out and fully formed.Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide, or toll free 1-800-888-3006 its in thr shooters guide, H2A-226222.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gwhunter View Post
    in sportsman's guide they have a akm receiver blank for $29.79 all facyory new and legal because thier classified as blanks, because there are no holes drilled in them all other parts are cut out and fully formed.Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide, or toll free 1-800-888-3006 its in thr shooters guide, H2A-226222.
    Someone said those have no heat treatment, and require much more than just drilling, welding in the rails, and completing. Apparently they are too soft and need more than just the fcg heat treatment.

If anyone has more info it would be appreciated. There is a seller here who has heat treated ones for sale though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Someone said those have no heat treatment, and require much more than just drilling, welding in the rails, and completing. Apparently they are too soft and need more than just the fcg heat treatment.

If anyone has more info it would be appreciated. There is a seller here who has heat treated ones for sale though.
    THERE IS A WHOLE TREAD ON THESE BLANKS USE THE SEARCH. AOME ARE SAID TO BE SOFT MAOST ARE OK THERE APPEARS TO BE SEVERAL VERSIONS

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
grasshopper jig ak47
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

poor mans flat bending jig

poormans flat bending jigs plans
very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.