Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score

That was my thought as well, lawman. I plan on trying it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Sounds like some good ideas. Please report back your results. My flats will come by the end of the week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Postak

I wonder if you could put a bar under the jig , say under the trigger hole, and the front part of the mag opening, run a bolt thru the holes to either go thru the bars, or thread them and use them to pull the flat down into the jig, at the very least it would put pressure on the flat so it would stay centered starting into the bending movement ?
    This is the first jig that I have understood so I will have to make one----that means another kit, will it ever stop??????????????????

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Guys -- Would it work to put a sine bar under the upper mandrell?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thumbs up update

My friend beefed up the jig using 3" angle and made it longer so we could add a bolt past the front and back of the 1/4 inch bar stock to give more support to the front and rear of the flat. He also made a jig of angle iron to bend the rails first. Really added alot of stability during the bending process. He has a press and that helped alot! We did 3 last night that came out excellent.

Check it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Grasshopper,

Proof positive that need is the mother of invention. Kudos to you and your low buck bender your the man!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Thanks Mike, The credit must go to this board. This would not have happened without the ideas i got from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt762x39
    Grasshopper,

Proof positive that need is the mother of invention. Kudos to you and your low buck bender your the man!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

has anyone made a bending jig using the above method?

the reason i ask is because I used 4" x 3/8" angle iron (big fu#kin' stuff) in only supported it at the ends with (3) - 3/8" bolts on each side.

My first attempt at bending a flat showed evidence of the jig bowing in the middle causing the middle of the receiver to be slightly wider than the front and back closest to the bolts.

I have since added support 3/8" bolts throughout the jig (slightly below where the male die bottoms out) and have had perfect bends.

Just wondering if anyone is noticing bowing with thinner, smaller angle iron.

Regards,
    Caspian

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm in the process of making one of these jigs - when I'm finished, I'll let you know. I'm concidering making some triangular shaped peices and having them welded in the middle where you described the problem with bowing. Also, I believe that the original called for using 1/4" angle - the extra thicknes might make a diference. BTW, I like the 'Busa signature pic - I have a '01 with a little work done to it. Great minds think alike .

Pit Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian45
    has anyone made a bending jig using the above method?

the reason i ask is because I used 4" x 3/8" angle iron (big fu#kin' stuff) in only supported it at the ends with (3) - 3/8" bolts on each side.

My first attempt at bending a flat showed evidence of the jig bowing in the middle causing the middle of the receiver to be slightly wider than the front and back closest to the bolts.

I have since added support 3/8" bolts throughout the jig (slightly below where the male die bottoms out) and have had perfect bends.

Just wondering if anyone is noticing bowing with thinner, smaller angle iron.

Regards,
    Caspian

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull
    Also, I believe that the original called for using 1/4" angle - the extra thicknes might make a diference. BTW, I like the 'Busa signature pic - I have a '01 with a little work done to it. Great minds think alike .
    Pit Bull
    I used 3/8 which is thicker than the plan on page one (1/4). That's why i had concerns of bowing. my stupid jig weighs 25-30 lbs. it's solid, but i can't sell it b/c i couldn't afford to ship the damn thing.

I'll have to come clean. I'm a wannabe busa owner. i have a Bandit 1200 but want to step up to a busa once i get some bills paid off.

caspian

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.