Gunco Forums banner

Very poor man's bend jig - lol

171K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:

Attachments

See less See more
#103 · (Edited)
I think that the inner measurments are the same 1.250". The change, on the Yugo, is in the thickness of the flat 1.50mm vs. 1.05mm. Which on this jig means that the angle iron sections would need to be an additional .45mm apart. Then you would have to remove a section from each angle iron to allow for clearance of the two "Bulged" side areas for the front trunnion. Someone on another board thought that placeing a wedge of oak in the bottom of the jig to limit the flat's (at the front trunnion end) travel into the jig. Therefore not messing up the receivers bulges. I think that some have said that the rails on the flat are already bent so you would not have to worry about that,

Any thoughts?

#104 ·
The wedge makes sense, once the intial fold is made you push the flat through till you get to the bulges. The wedge is just there for insurance that you dont go to far and damage the bulges. If the bend isn't quite perfect you can tweak it ....or BFH it till it's perfect. good luck and post pics.

#106 ·
What if you ran 2" angle iron and steped it down on one end to the side distance (at the front of the receiver) minus the bulges? Run the flat down in the front until it bottoms out then work the rear of the receiver down into the jig?

the inside dim is 1.250" plus the wall of your flatX2.

#107 ·
Poor man's bending jig---- HOLY CRAP !

I just built one of these today.

I had a piece of sheel metal with an ace template glued to it just sitting around and I figured, what the heck.

Cranked down the bolts and VIOLA', one brand spanking new, completely bent home brew ak receiver.

Finished it by moving the flat stock up to the top rail lines, cranked it down in my vise, it in the jig, and hammered over the top rails.

It's a beautiful thing..............

#110 ·
LonghunterCO said:
I think that the inner measurments are the same 1.250". The change, on the Yugo, is in the thickness of the flat 1.50mm vs. 1.05mm. Which on this jig means that the angle iron sections would need to be an additional .45mm apart. Then you would have to remove a section from each angle iron to allow for clearance of the two "Bulged" side areas for the front trunnion. Someone on another board thought that placeing a wedge of oak in the bottom of the jig to limit the flat's (at the front trunnion end) travel into the jig. Therefore not messing up the receivers bulges. I think that some have said that the rails on the flat are already bent so you would not have to worry about that,

Any thoughts?
The inside dimensions of the yugo reciever are different than a standard receiver due to the thickness of the metal. The outside dimensions of the receiver should be the same. Inside of a standard receiver is 1.25" and a yugo is around 1.20".

#116 ·
I built one similar to JRoybal's, using 3 grade-8 bolts to pull the flat through the angle iron. The flat turned out good, but I'm going to brace it up some more to keep it from flexing on the next one. There were some waves in the sides, but after tapping the upper rails over while sandwiched in the vise the sides are nice and straight.

I used Turtle Wax on the sides of the angle iron and the flat. The ol "slicker than cat snot on a tile floor" approach worked well.

#117 ·
I could not find a thick enough piece for the inner bars so I tried using two with a third on the bottom. The bottom one was ever so slightly to the left so the inner was shifted too far to the right and therefore it was not leaving enough room for the flat to fold. So I am in the process of narrowing the lower plate to allow the bend. So a work in progress.

#118 ·
Rikoshay said:
I built one similar to JRoybal's, using 3 grade-8 bolts to pull the flat through the angle iron. The flat turned out good, but I'm going to brace it up some more to keep it from flexing on the next one. There were some waves in the sides, but after tapping the upper rails over while sandwiched in the vise the sides are nice and straight.

I used Turtle Wax on the sides of the angle iron and the flat. The ol "slicker than cat snot on a tile floor" approach worked well.
Brace it? Where? I was thinking of using a large "C" Clamp about mid point on the angle iron to keep it from bowing. Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks for replying.

#119 ·
LonghunterCO said:
I could not find a thick enough piece for the inner bars so I tried using two with a third on the bottom. The bottom one was ever so slightly to the left so the inner was shifted too far to the right and therefore it was not leaving enough room for the flat to fold. So I am in the process of narrowing the lower plate to allow the bend. So a work in progress.
What thickness barstock are you using for the inner bars? What would be optimum 0.25''?

thanks

#121 ·
LonghunterCO said:
I only had access to the 3/16" stuff that he mentioned as bowing on page 1 or 2. 1/4" would be better.
Let me see if we are on the same page, Are you talking about the angle iron that forms the sides, or are you talking about the two strips that are used to sandwich the flat and help form the bottom of the flat, where the mag well and trigger guard is mounted?

#124 ·
Rikoshay said:
I used 2 strips of the 3/16th flat bar for the bottom section (3 total, 1 on top of the flat, 2 on bottom). I will be bracing the bottom 2 with some more flat strips welded at a 90 degree angle, running the whole length.
I am trying to avoid welding if at all possible. I was thinking of backing up the interior of my male jig with a piece of Oak or similar hard wood, topped with another strip of barstock. This would then be used as a form for folding the top rails. It would also help to keep the jig straight as it is pulled through the outer jig.

| ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\_________) Barstock
|:::::::::::::::::::::::: Wood:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
(____________________________________________) Barstock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Flat
(____________________________________________) Barstock

I am also looking at using one or two C clamps to keep the sides of the female jig from bowing as I press in the male form and also clamping down on the jig after the male form has been inserted. I am also going to be using the bolt method to pull the male jig into the female jig.

Has anybody tried this?

#126 ·
My ancestor served in Company H of this civil war unit.

The Third Texas Cavalry was organized in Dallas on 13 Jun 1861. The companies were from northeast Texas and were raised primarily in the following counties: Co A (Capt. T.W. Winston) Harrison; Co B (Capt. R.H. Cumby) Rusk; Co C (Capt Frank Taylor) Cherokee; Co D (Capt. Hale) Hunt; Co E (Capt D.M. Short) Shelby; Co F (Capt Isham Chisholm) Kaufman; Co G (Capt H.P. Mabry) Marion and Kaufman; Co H (Capt Johnson Russell) Wood; Co I (Capt William Bryan) Cass; Co K (David Gaines) Smith.
In early July, the regiment left Dallas and headed for Missouri on the "Texas Road" through the Indian Territory to Ft. Smith, AR. The first taste of battle came at the Battle of Wilson's Creek (Oak Hills) just outside of Springfield, MO on 10 Aug 1861. The regiment remained near the junction of Missouri, Arkansas, and the Indian Territory for several months and saw action at the Battles of Chustenahlah (Cherokee Nation, near present Muscogee, OK) 26 Dec 1861 and Pea Ridge (Elk Horn Tavern), AR on 6-8 Mar 1862. Following the Battle of Pea Ridge, the 3rd Texas Cavalry, along with most other troops in Arkansas, was ordered to the east side of the Mississippi River. Prior to crossing the Mississippi, the regiment was dismounted, and it fought on foot for the next several months.

Arriving in Mississippi in late April 1862, the 3rd Texas Cavalry saw some action near Corinth, MS in late May 1862, but the major fighting took place in the fall with the battles of Iuka, MS (20 Sep 1862), Corinth, MS (3 & 4 Oct 1862), and the Holly Springs, MS raid (20 Dec 1862). Following the battle of Corinth, the 3rd Texas Cavalry was remounted and served for the rest of the war as cavalry. It was placed in a brigade with the 6th Texas Cavalry (which also contained men from Kaufman county), and this brigade went on to become known as Ross' Texas Cavalry Brigade .

In early 1863, the 3rd Texas Cavalry took part in a short raid into Tennessee which culminated in the battle of Thompson's Station, TN on 5 Mar 1863. Afterward, the regiment returned to Mississippi where it performed much scouting and skirmishing associated with the Vicksburg Campaign. It remained in the area between Jackson and Vicksburg for the remainder of 1863 and the first part of 1864.

In February and March 1864, the 3rd Texas Cavalry took part in the contest for Yazoo City, MS. In April 1864, Ross' Brigade headed for Georgia to assist in opposing Sherman's advance toward Atlanta. The 3rd Texas saw action in numerous battles and skirmishes from 14 May to 2 Sep 1864 among them were: Rome (15 May), New Hope Church (25 May), Lovejoy's Station (20 Aug). Following the fall of Atlanta, the regiment took part in Hood's ill-fated Tennesee Campaign in November and December 1864. As cavalry, Ross' Brigade was spared the slaughter that befell the infantry at Franklin and Nashville, but it served to disrupt Union communications and crucially protected the retreat of Hood's army after its defeat at Nashville.

After returning to Alabama from Tennessee, the 3rd Texas Cavalry moved to Mississippi again, but it did not see any major action for the remaining few months of the war. The regiment was surrendered along with the rest of the armies of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana on 4 May 1865 by Gen. Richard Taylor. The remaining members of the 3rd Texas Cavalry received their paroles to return home on 8 May 1865.

Reference: Douglas Hale, "The Third Texas Cavalry in the Civil War", University of Oklahoma Press, 1993

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.