Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor -- and I think I've ruined my flat.

How did those of you who built one keep the flat parallel when pounding it into the frame? Mine tilted to the side.

If I can borrow a camera I'll post pictures.

I tried hammering on the flat itself to straighten it out and now I have gouges... sigh
    Last edited by zougou; 02-01-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Feedback Score

Maybe use a c clamp on one end while you get it started.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

[quote=zougou]Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zougou
    Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor
    Actually SKSMan was the first one I saw to make one of these. Geez that was over a year ago I guess. "All things old are new again"! Search around here and I think it was in fact "poor man's bending jig" or something like that. Good stuff!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Actually SKSMan was the first one I saw to make one of these. Geez that was over a year ago I guess. "All things old are new again"! Search around here and I think it was in fact "poor man's bending jig" or something like that. Good stuff!
    Yes, the credit should go to SKSMan. I just made a simpler version of his design.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

[quote=captskip9]
    Quote Originally Posted by zougou
    Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.

i did a tapco flat with the jig but the mag well did not bend i had to get the BFH after it .I put a ace template on it and every thing lines up I think the bar stock is not wide enough and the magazine well pulls out when it bends ,any other ideas to fix the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    OOPS AGAIN - man I can't seem to get things straight this week. I meant SKS_HUNTER!

POOR MAN'S FLAT JIG
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hello Grasshopper,
    Your clever idea has changed my attitude toward building a frame from a flat. I will try your invention asap. This is a simple solution not unlike that of M. Kalashnikov's work. I am glad to have found this forum. This is my first post.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Grasshopper,
    I foregot to ask if you had any ideas on heat treating the frames. I hope to join a build party soon.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HFSPBfan
    Hi Grasshopper,
    I foregot to ask if you had any ideas on heat treating the frames. I hope to join a build party soon.
    You only have to head treat the hammer and trigger holes. There a few thread on the site on heat treating. They have a lot of information on heat treating than I can describe here. Good luck.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
grasshopper jig ak47
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

poormans flat bending jigs plans
very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.