Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Any one else have a problem with the mag well not bending right? I tried another tapco flat and it did the same thing i even put big washers on the flat bars for more support and strength.Grasshoper any ideas on this.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by captskip9
    Any one else have a problem with the mag well not bending right? I tried another tapco flat and it did the same thing i even put big washers on the flat bars for more support and strength.Grasshoper any ideas on this.
    ok, it either the bars are too narrow or their are not bolt tight enough. or there is too much of a radius on the edge of the bars. you should be able to put an angle inside of the bend and use a hammer to make it right.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    OOPS AGAIN - man I can't seem to get things straight this week. I meant SKS_HUNTER!

POOR MAN'S FLAT JIG
    They are similar, but 'the Grasshopper' doesn't use a vice. Besides, 'grasshoppa' rolls off the tongue nicely, yes?

I think the one flaw in my copy is that the flat stock is not really flat. It has a slight curve to it so that the flat isn't fully supported. If I run a file over the flat stock it takes metal off on two sides rather than the whole piece that the file runs over.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper
    Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes.
    Thanks!!!
    The most important recipe you will ever read.
    Believe- John 8:24
    Repent - Luke 13:3
    Confess Christ as Lord -Romans. 10:9
    Baptism for forgivness of sins- Acts2:38, Mark 16:16.

Feedback Score

Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes.
    Thanks!!! This is just what Ive been lookin for. Something on the cheap. Can you tell us how you did it?

Feedback Score

Sorry bout that. Im a newb so I didnt see that you had already explained it. I have a Tapco flat on order, and Momma is going to towm tommorow withis list ti get from Lowes. Thanks to you.

peoples democratic republic of kaliforiastan
    Feedback Score

It has not been a problem for me. The only problem i can see is with the rear trunion and if you are building a pistol or folder. I just put the rear end again the angle and hammer it a few time. a little filing will fix it too. I am working on an upgrade that will make the top rail bending easier.

grasshopper, any progress on your upgrade for making the top rails easier to bend? if so do you have any new pics to post?
    i have morons on my team

guns kill people like cars cause drunk driving, pencils misspell words and spoons make rosie o'donnel fat

my home, my rules of engagement

Feedback Score

captskip9,

Make sure you have two bolts in the magwell and that they are extremely tight. If that doesn't fix the issue try to switch to the more square bar stock that you might get from a regular steel distributer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks i thought so the steel bar i used was about 15 ths smaller than needed for the tapco flat deminisions..i went to a machine shop a few miles from my house and asked the owner if he had any steel the right size ,the turkey was an he said it was a waste of his time to cut me off two pieces that small.There is another machine shop/welding, way out in the sticks i herd about and when i called him he said we sell anything to anybody thats how we make a living .He knew about the other welding shop and he agreed but he had a better name for him(don't want to be sensored)
    it sounded something like this ...that SOB IS a MUTHER FLUCKER from way back.

Quote Originally Posted by racinrex
    captskip9,

Make sure you have two bolts in the magwell and that they are extremely tight. If that doesn't fix the issue try to switch to the more square bar stock that you might get from a regular steel distributer.

Feedback Score

I'm lucky I guess. I work for a company that designs, prototypes and produces specialized printers for the apparel labeling industry. We have a full blown machine shop in house. I'm the entire IT dept here and besides I pretty much run a charity PC repair shop for the guys/gals that work here. When I need something small like that they are always happy to help out. Took me all of 5 minutes to secure 2 13 inch long pieces of 1.250" x 1/2 barstock.

Have to admit I don't dare bring in parts for pressing though... its kinda hard to keep it under the radar when your buddy in the machine shop is pressing a barrel out of a trunnion for ya.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.