Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Very poor man's bend jig - lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rex,
    Have you thought about using the Auto Zone Pulley Puller to press out your barrels? $20 and about 20 min. grinding a couple small reliefs into the jaws so that they fit the trunion better. I have pressed out a bunch a barrels with it using only a 1/2" drive ratchet and a few pennies. I do put the jaws in my vise to ensure that they don't pop off during the press. But other than that It's almost too easy.

Here's a couple pics;

NNGL (No New Gun Laws), Keep the Criminals in Prison and leave my Guns alone.

Fords and Chevy's kill more people than guns do, let's ban them.

Pro 2-A, Gun Carrying Conservative, Anglican American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Deleted to start a new thread.
    Last edited by Delmarksman; 03-10-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Feedback Score

Delmarksman, can you use the same tool to press them back in? How do you remove the barrely pin without the press?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You can use a vise to remove the pin, however, a press is alot easier getting them little buggers out. The thread that I started re: Box tubing has a link to some pics of the tools I use.

And no, the removal tool works only 1 way.
    There are however a variety of ways to get the barrel back in.
    Again, a shop press is very handy for this step too.
    In my mind, it was worth every penny!

Feedback Score

Grasshoper awsome idea

U.N.C.L.E. Section 8 Neubert500's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Smile Thank You Grasshopper!

I just wanted to thank you for posting your way of making your dies for folding flats. I have been waiting for 2 seperate persons to build a 555th jig for me and neither came through. I was ready to order one on line but couldn't find one, then I came across your post. We ( my wife and I) built your jig and will hopefully bend some flats next week. Any advise for someone that is nervous and ready to try this for the first time? I will be using my HF 12 ton press.
    Again THANK YOU!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

just make sure you used grease on the flat. and press one end all the way down first and work your way to the other end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

So the proper way to bend a flat with the 'Grasshopper' Jig is to use a vise or big hammer, and work on one end at a time? Any pics of this proceedure? I'm having difficulty 'seeing' this process in my head. Seems like it would be easy to get things out of alignment.

I built the jig, and tried to bend a couple of nodakspud flats with it. I would say, that I had limited success. I think I might need to try a 3rd time. If it fails, then I'm going with a 555th type jig. Thats going to require the shop press to do right. My BFH is too small. LOL.
    Last edited by JimE2; 04-20-2006 at 09:52 AM.

U.N.C.L.E. Section 8 Neubert500's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default Failure

Please understand: I am in no way blaming any one except myself. I was a miserable failure with my poor man's jig. I must have not measured something right. Two flats ruined. Oh well, I guess I was in over my head. I have since ordered the jigs from Curtis at AK-Builder and more flats from Tapco. I still learned from this, as this was the first steel I have ever cut. Again no one is to blame except me and after the dissappointment, I realized that I look forward to completing some AKs!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Neubert500
    Please understand: I am in no way blaming any one except myself. I was a miserable failure with my poor man's jig. I must have not measured something right. Two flats ruined. Oh well, I guess I was in over my head. I have since ordered the jigs from Curtis at AK-Builder and more flats from Tapco. I still learned from this, as this was the first steel I have ever cut. Again no one is to blame except me and after the dissappointment, I realized that I look forward to completing some AKs!
    Dude its all good just be patient.
    Consider this, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Ocala and Marion County Car Audio

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

grasshopper bending jig dimensions
poor man bending jig

poor mans ak bending jig

very poor alloy bar bending images
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.