Gunco Forums banner

How about a "Show your Tools" thread.

11K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Rev Jim Jones 
#1 ·
I have seen a ton of show me you this or that thread but do not think that I have ever seen a thread where everyone specifically shows off their home made "Improvised Building Tools".
So at the request of one of the members here I thought that I would start one.

I have been real busy trying to build everything from scratch. It has taken me several weeks at least to get this far. It certainly would have been far easier to just buy the darn things but, it was far easier to convince my better half that I needed a drill press and x-y axis vise than a "flat bending jig".

I found a local Steel distributor and bought all the scrap 1.25" steel that they had in their scrap pile and a few larger and smaller pieces that I figured that I could probably use.

Scrap steel cost there 0.30$/foot so 60# only cost me $18. I actually had to go back to the pile several times just to make the weight to meet their minimum $ to use my mac card.

I am on dial-up so this is going to take a while to post all my pics.
Please hold off making comments till I post my last photos.
I will also probably have to come back and edit for content, so bear with me.

Enjoy,
Del

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
dogbone said:
just a question from a "yet to build" lurker.

Isn't the rivet jig number 26 used at the same place as the bolt cutter rivet tool? I thought you could used either one or the other for the front trunioin rivets.
I'm assuming you are asking about a plinker rivet jig (one like it was posted on page one of this thread). The plinker rivet jig or the bolt cutter rivet tool can be used for the front trunnion rivets. Some prefer one over the other, they both work. :)

#31 ·
I like both the Plinker jig and the bolt cutter rivet tool. (bcrt)
BOTH will do a very nice job.

However I prefer using the bcrt.
It is easier as it requires no setup.
In the time it takes to get 1 rivet done (mounting, setup of the receiver, setup in the press to dimple, un setup to do the rivets, then do it all again for the other side...
I will have all of them done and be halfway done pressing my barrel in.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the plinker jig and used one on my first two builds.
Then I used a BCRT and have not looked back since.

Flopshot,
I really like your ball bearing stabilizers on your press ram's shelf.
I've gotta make that mod on mine!!!

#32 ·
That's what I was thinkin', they both do the same thing. It just kinda confused me when he mentioned he was getting a bolt cutter tool also. I can see how the bolt cutter one would be faster. I'm going to get one of those, but try and fabricate my own TG rivet jig and a long rivet jig.

#33 ·
I am in the process of making a jig for the rear rivets but till now, I just use a dimpled punch and a hammer.
It gives me good control and I can form a nicely rounded rivet (practice makes perfect).

Here is a schematic for a TG jig.

#34 ·
Getting set up with the tools, newest one is this computer.Now, gotta learn how to get pictures from the camera into and out of the computer.

Picked up a Greenerd 25 ton arbor press, made in 1930, serial # 10 !!, Timken bearings, smooth control , with feel Will post a picture when Ifigure out how.

#39 ·
Hey Rev, Yep that's the impression that I got when I tried to buy a couple pieces from him.
I get it from the scrap yard up in Newport. Off Rt. 141 at the west end of Old Airport road.
You can see it from I 95 but just can't get there from it.
Called Steel Liquidators, I think.
They are very reasonable and have lot's of loose scrap but will cut what you need from their bulk stock, if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.