Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about painting the inside of a blank receiver

Feedback Score

Default Question about painting the inside of a blank receiver

I have noticed that everyone mounts the trunions on their blanks then sand blasts them and then paints/finish them.
    So my question is if the inner part of the blank under the trunions, is not "painted" won't that cause issues down the line with rust, corosion, etc.

Here is a pic form 7.62 X 39 after he demilled a krink. 6th picture down. There is rust after a few years this would cause problems don't you think?

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28233

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by samoconner
    I have noticed that everyone mounts the trunions on their blanks then sand blasts them and then paints/finish them.
    So my question is if the inner part of the blank under the trunions, is not "painted" won't that cause issues down the line with rust, corosion, etc.

Here is a pic form 7.62 X 39 after he demilled a krink. 6th picture down. There is rust after a few years this would cause problems don't you think?

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28233
    Perhaps I'm a bit anal but I've recently started to park and paint (molyresin) all my parts, including the inside of the receiver, before I assemble. I then repaint/touch up after assembly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It sure wouldn't hurt to have some paint in there, might even keep it from looking like a rusty old bronco in Utah.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I agree, I am going to Duracoat the inside of the receiver and the trunions after all holes and cut-outs are done and before I rivet them together.

Fuz
    Feedback Score

Was wondering same thing. Would prefer to have entire inside of receiver protected from rust.

In that light, does it make more sense to weld the receiver rails in place, then sandblasting and painting inside receiver, before any riveting?

gunsgutsandgod.com mounts the front trunnion before welding the rails. Is any technical reason for trunnion before rails?
    Skype 'patriotbrewer'
    Smilies suck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It allows you to make sure the rails are the proper height so they match up with the trunion

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuz
    gunsgutsandgod.com mounts the front trunnion before welding the rails. Is any technical reason for trunnion before rails?
    That is the only way you can correctly locate the rails

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I dont want paint or any thing else that can come loose between the trunion and the reciver. I want metal to metal contact so it stays tight after rivieted or screwed. If that paint gets hot / melts deteriates flakes off in any way you now have play between the two parts. sandwiching a layer of paint or any thing else softer than steel in between to steel parts and riviting just dont sound right to me IMOA. bluing it or parking it would be ok. there is no paint between the originals. I oil them down good after they are built and call it good. they will out last me most likley. as far as mounting the trunion after finishing the reciver I do it all the time if I am doing a screw build like on one of my pistols. fit the rails and weld with the trunion clamped or screwed in place then remove trunion to to do your finishing. I do it like this for several reasons. 1. I can put several recivers in the oven at one time with out the barrel for a baked on finish. 2 on a screw build I dont like to heat the loctight after it is set in place when doing a bake on finish. IF you were to paint around the trunion after it was built it would seal it up pretty well also. Rust needs oxygen to live. I will admit to seeing some kits with rust between the reciver and the trunion but It was far from ever causing a problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I don't hardly think that paint, especially epoxy type paint, is going to go anywhere when it is between the receiver walls and the trunions and those rivets are properly set. Just my .02

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I just sandblast and blue the inside of my receivers before doing anything with them. No paint inside, if I can help it (molyresin or not).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.