Thread: Question for AMD65 Guru's

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Unhappy Question for AMD65 Guru's

Should you drill a hole in the bottom of the receiver to allow you to drive out the hinge pin for the buttstock? I noticed on Pookies website when he instructs on making the cutout and the push button hole in the receiver to fit the folding stock trunion, he does not mention drilling a hole for the hinge pin. If you don't and you break the wire stock and have to replace it, then you'll have to drill out the rivets and remove the buttstock trunion to replace the stock. Is this right or am I missing something here ?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I drilled a hole under the one i'm building now. Even if you don't there are ways to get it out if you really needed too. Like, drill the hole a little deeper in the pin, there should already be an indentation there and tap it with an appropriate sized tap. Screw in a little bolt and get yourself some kind of slide hammer setup and it should come out. Alot easier than removing the block from the receiver and having to refinish. Also, if the tapped hole will bother you, flip the pin over, no one will know different.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Or, you can drill the hole later. You can buy one of the hand measuring tools(maybe drafting) that will allow you to locate the bottom hole since you know the top hole's location.
    member 143

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I alweays drilled from the top out the bottom on the 65's....
    FIREARM REFINISHING AT ITS FINEST !

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants
    FAL/AR-15/Handguns/Shotguns

Affordable prices/Licensed Gunsmith
    4 to 6 week turnaround
    -Send an email for a price quote today and
    check out our website-

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I always drill a hole when I building because it only takes a minute or two. How long would it take after it's built?
    Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Yeah, I do too, but if you forget to drill it and the thing is all finished with the pin in you're kind of screwed if you want to take the stock off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I drilled an undersized hole centered in the area under the pin. That way, I don't need to go crazy locating it and I don't really add another hole.

I used a Vulcan receiver and regret it - not because the Vulcan is bad but because it has two sets of rear trunnion holes predrilled and one set doesn't fit the -65. I solved that problem by using one hole for a rear sling swivel threaded stud (and a sling loop from another AK). I drilled a second hole for one of the rear trunnion rivets. But one hole is ugly because it is egged and I regret it whenever I look at it.
    "MOLON LABE!!"
    Spartan King Leonidas to the Persians in response to 'Lay down your arms.'

"COME AND TAKE THEM!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks guys. I think I'll at least go with the undersized hole.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.