Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: flats, bents, & 100%'s OH MY!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Sticky, it is.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Add a barrel pin removal methods sticky under it.

As far as easing into it the worst that can happen is you fail and F!@K up a $90 pile of parts. most guys can do that trying to fix the kitchen sink. read all the stickys and build coverage you can find. If you have no knowledge of the AK try to get a look at one assembled and maybe ask if they can feild strip it so you at least see how it is susposed to look and work. I remember the first kit I bought I had never even held a AK, there was no info on the net. I stared at the FGC and small parts for a few days. Do a screw build even on a 100% reciver, I have not used the trigger guard plates for sale (always made my own) but I plan on using them from now on as my free time is getting scarce. Ace or true value should have 10-32 screws for the trunion. I cut them down buy drilling and taping a 10-32 hole in a piece of flat bar I screw the screws through the hole and trim of with a die grinder the threads are cleaned up when the screw it removed through the hole
    I would not rule out buying a already built AK you can always sell it. gun values very seldom go down. you can add what ever stock or add ons to it latter if you want. most guys build for the fun of it, not nessacrly the cost savings. I build as I like to customize them changing caliburs and making them hunting friendly. If it is not fun why do it saving 35-40 dollars is not worth the trouble.IMOA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Find the Harbor Freight store nearest you, take your banker. Buy what you need. Devorce your wife. Then BUILD, BUILD, BUILD.

Here's a link you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

Good luck!!!!

Feedback Score

So if I read everything correct:

bent blank = hardest
    flat = best (as long as you got the tooling or friend with tooling)
    laser cut flat = sucks (pain in the ass to weld for the average Joe)
    100% most expensive but easy
    The only wasted vote is the vote not cast!

Find me on My Space: http://www.myspace.com/drunkardben

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eubanks
    pinball,

You might ask around. There might be a builder in your area that can show you a bit and explain the required tools. Where do you live?
    +1 I did a lot of research here on the forums before my first build, but having a friend who had done several builds already really helped. He had all the tools and the experience. That was definitely the way to go for the first build. Now I have the confidence to do it on my own (if I ever get the tools).
    "This episode sent the message that we'll fight them on the beaches, we'll fight them on the hills, but if they kill a few of our soldiers we'll give up and go away." - Mark Bowden (on the Battle of Mogadishu)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pinball
    This is like picking what way to fish! I want to go the least expensive way, the one that requires most all the tools to be "normal" household equipment, and the one that does not take a college engineering degree! Do they have a true "Easy as 1, 2, and 3" way to build?
    I could have bought a complete AK already built for what it cost me to build my first. But I enjoied building it. Kept me out of trouble

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

What size press would be recommended for builds and bending flats?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

12 ton is all you need.
    As far as the actual pressure required, a 6 ton would probably do it. But the 6 ton press frames are too small for barrel work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quick Question:

I'm about to purchase some flats and a flat-bending jig from AK-Builder to use in my 20-ton shop press. Going to be building some Romanian kits - both side-folder and standard stock.

Prior to me making this purchase is there any other flat-bending jig that anyone would recommend? Or flats?

Also, I'm going to purchase some riveting tools. For this purchase I was going to go with Plinker's tools (in the classified section on this forum) based on the unsolicited positive feedback he has received ... and the CD that is included with the purchase.

In summary, would anyone recommend anything different than:

AK-Builder flats

AK-Builder flat-bending jig

Plinker's Riveting Tools

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

that's top of the line gear.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.