Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: flats, bents, & 100%'s OH MY!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

cool!
    i hear you on being booked up
    its amazing how we do stuff when our every day responsibilites take up much of our time!so to actualy commit to somethig of a show and tell is tuff!
    thanks for the tips!
    (i shoulda triedthis route before i got the jig )

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I used a Lincoln 175 PRO square wave TIG.
    I think thats the same tig I have good machine except for the damm post flow of the gas is to long.

I did one of those weld up flat years ago I clamped a trunion in to keep it in place. I personaly would just buy a 100% before doing it again. it came out ok but I now bend my own.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I think thats the same tig I have good machine except for the damm post flow of the gas is to long.

I did one of those weld up flat years ago I clamped a trunion in to keep it in place. I personaly would just buy a 100% before doing it again. it came out ok but I now bend my own.
    Yep, it flows forever and burns through gas too quickly!

Mark

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ok now i dont feel so bad!
    im better off bending my own flats!probably cheaper in the long run

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got all the tools and toys set up today, I am going to have to make at least 10 AK's to amortize the tooling cost down to 100.00 each, But with kits at $250.00 on their way and receivers at 60.00 or less. (built the bending jig today) and can now spot weld as well as mig weld (all for under $300.00 curtsey of H/F) I will get 10 flats from Curtis and bend and weld them up. Didn't plan on going into the AK business, but here in Las Vegas there is a great market for a well made gun. Ihave the riveting stuff but I really like the look of Screws so thats the first one on the bench, Waiting for some spray paint from Brownells and than a week or two to cure(as suggested and appreciated) No hurry to finish one up, I know if i take the time to do it right it will be all good, and if i rush it will be all s**t, I really appreciate all the feedback GUNCO RULES
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I started out with and continiue to use bent blanks. Other methods may be better but I'm sticking to what I know. I already had moto tool, and drill press made things much easier and accurate. I think the cheapest way is to find someone who has all the tools and has done several builds. I helped several people build there own and saved them big bucks. I wish I could have found someone when I started. But then I did find gunco after the first one. The second turned out much nicer because of gunco folks.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yep, it flows forever and burns through gas too quickly!

Mark

Mark back when I got mine over 10 years ago I spoke to a technician at Lincoln abd he told me that a resistor could be solderd in to reduce the post flow. he also said it would void the warrenty. I never pursued it. It will drain a bottel pretty quick when doing spot to weld sheet metal together for examble 4 tack welds = 1 minute of flow 100 welds=25 minutes of flow.

I had for a while a 110v solenoid valve in line with a switch on the foot pedal that turned the valve on and off I also had a 5 second delay on it. I used to do a lot of body work and it was nessacary or the bottle was always empty. the delay box faild eventualy and the valve started to leak so I quit using it. If I ever start doing more body work with it all build another one.

but here in Las Vegas there is a great market for a well made gun
    Id be carefull selling a gun built on a homemade reciver its likely illeagle.

Feedback Score

New to the site as well as to building an AK. I'm wondering if it's possible to use a romy barrel assembly with a Chinese bolt and carrier? Also, has anyone ever tried using a pottery kiln to fully heat treat a receiver? I have access to one which can heat up to 2000 degrees. Seems like it would work. Am I folding an improved Tapco and wondering if I'm likely to distort it with a full heat treat. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score

Default New to building

Was wondering if it's possible to use a romy barrel assembly with a Chinese bolt and carrier in a Tapco receiver? Also, I have access to a pottery kiln that can reach 2000 degrees. I would think I could use it to fully heat treat the receiver. Any thoughts or concerns?

Feedback Score

Good idea on the heat treat using the kiln. Or at least the annealing, with the totally controllable up and down temperature control.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.