Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How I rebuilt my milled ak's for $55 plus compli parts.

Feedback Score

Okay went and registered, waiting for the admin to send a verification. So I guess the 64 dollar question is will the easier plate still work okay for a first time builder? Ive got a 100amp lincoln mig welder with gas. Im mainly a car nut myself, Ive butt welded 8 or 9 lower fender patches for my elcaminos and chevelles. Ive even cut a cowl induction dome off a 70 SS hood and welded it to my camaro hood without warping it.
    The kit I got in the mail the front stub is cut where the indent on the right side starts to slope down. Not like the one in the photo on this site. Jim

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
    Okay went and registered, waiting for the admin to send a verification. So I guess the 64 dollar question is will the easier plate still work okay for a first time builder? Ive got a 100amp lincoln mig welder with gas. Im mainly a car nut myself, Ive butt welded 8 or 9 lower fender patches for my elcaminos and chevelles. Ive even cut a cowl induction dome off a 70 SS hood and welded it to my camaro hood without warping it.
    The kit I got in the mail the front stub is cut where the indent on the right side starts to slope down. Not like the one in the photo on this site. Jim
    hi jim. congrats on getting one before they sold out. the "lightning cut" as what i have been told its called, is that "indent" you called it IS. you wont have a problem making it look good. just dont get in a hurry. go slow and check every thing to make sure everything it straight. a dremmel tool will be your new best friend. you will be fine. now the barrel, thats the biggest concern for me.....is if it will shoot the broad side of the barn at 100 yards or not.

let me know when you get your verification. ive been waiting over a week! whaaats up!

Feedback Score

Just got my verification this morning. havent been over there yet,(xmas shopping) barrel did pass the bullet test, thought about trading it for a romy g kit but decided I like the milled look better. Jim

I remember it when needed ronjeremy's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default Pink parachuting penguins

I too am interested in purchasing plates for an m64 (early m70).
    But.... only if it's possible to get the lightning cut.
    Last edited by ronjeremy; 12-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Feedback Score

vz58, I posted a reply on the other forum to put me in line for a set of plates. Thanks for the link! jim

Feedback Score

/?/
    Last edited by realred; 01-01-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Feedback Score

I'm waiting for admission to the other site. I'd love to buy a set of plates for an M70 Yugo.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

specialev it will be a few days/week before I post them for sale and I will post here to in the for sale section

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    specialev it will be a few days/week before I post them for sale and I will post here to in the for sale section
    VZ...I recently bought one of the M64 kits also....should be here tuesday. At first I was set to grind the trunions down and slip them into a folded flat as described on another thread. But this fix looks much better. It's my first attempt at a build but I think I could do it. Would a 90 amp flux wire welder from HF do the trick? I'll be watching but I believe that I would like a set of your plates also.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by John Walton View Post
    VZ...I recently bought one of the M64 kits also....should be here tuesday. At first I was set to grind the trunions down and slip them into a folded flat as described on another thread. But this fix looks much better. It's my first attempt at a build but I think I could do it. Would a 90 amp flux wire welder from HF do the trick? I'll be watching but I believe that I would like a set of your plates also.
    thanks
    Flux core is not optimal, but it would/could work. You would be plenty surprised to know that you could build an inexpensive purge box, fill it with cheap CO2 and weld with non-flux wire to get much better results.

Flux core will work, just make sure to coat the receiver in anti-splatter coating (the stuff they use to protect MIG nozzles) and you should be good even with the flux core and it will make the splatter a non issue for the most part. If you MIG weld without flux core wire, this trick can help too. Of course a TIG will get the nicest result on something like this.

I'm waiting for someone to use JB weld though.

Mark

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

milled receiver weld plate

vz58 receiver plates
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.