Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: How I rebuilt my milled ak's for $55 plus compli parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    Flux core is not optimal, but it would/could work. You would be plenty surprised to know that you could build an inexpensive purge box, fill it with cheap CO2 and weld with non-flux wire to get much better results.

Flux core will work, just make sure to coat the receiver in anti-splatter coating (the stuff they use to protect MIG nozzles) and you should be good even with the flux core and it will make the splatter a non issue for the most part. If you MIG weld without flux core wire, this trick can help too. Of course a TIG will get the nicest result on something like this.

I'm waiting for someone to use JB weld though.

Mark
    thanks mark....HF has that welder for $119. I'm not much of a welder but with a little practice I catch on fast and think I could do it. The hint about the anti-splatter is a good one. I see that this technique is more aesthetically appealing than the screw job.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

john practice on some 1/8" mild steel (get it from a welding shop or even lowes) Once you feel comfortable buy some plates and I will send some scrap 4130 with the plates to practice on.

Personally it might be cheaper to rent a gas mig 220v for a weekend

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    john practice on some 1/8" mild steel (get it from a welding shop or even lowes) Once you feel comfortable buy some plates and I will send some scrap 4130 with the plates to practice on.

I think VZ makes a great point here... practice a bit... a few hours of practice will really pay of in being able to lay down a nice bead, or at least get the settings on your welder close.

Fortunately this isn't aluminum and welding steel is pretty easy, although 4130 is a little trickier than mild steel. If you are anywhere near DC you can come over and use either my MIG or TIG setup.

Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post

That would be great. I thought if I build more that a small welder would be a good tool to have. Maybe I should just spring for a $100 more and get the small mig. We'll see...

thanks

Feedback Score

save your money and go for the mig. Ive got a lincoln SP100 its got the gauges and hoses for the C25 gas. Ive done patch work for my chevelle and elcaminos. its much easier to do sheet metal with the gas. I even cut the cowl induction dome off a chevelle hood and welded it to a camaro hood, just to be different. Jim

Feedback Score

Thats frigging impressive.. I have a lot of talents but welding is not one of them. Gotta learn.

Feedback Score

Great post, never built a gun but I really want to, but hands down to you.

Feedback Score

Welding really is simple for something like that. All you have to do is mess around with your wire feed speed and amount of heat you putting out. And always get your welds tied in at the begining of your weld. TIG welding I would think would be fairly easier for something like this "maybe" because it would be much cleaner leaving no splatter and require less grinding. Now if your welding pipes that is a different story because you have to purge it, but for sheet metal and such I'd recomend that. Either way this guy did a nice job.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post

although 4130 is a little trickier than mild steel.

Mark
    I find mild steel harder to tig/mig than 4130 or 4140. mild steel gives too many holes (from gas) when finished. but Im not a welder by trade. I was "shown" how to on mild then moved up to better grades of steel.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

generally novice welders using too light of a welder will find 4130 harder to run a smooth bead on.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.