Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How I rebuilt my milled ak's for $55 plus compli parts.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

***UPDATE***
    I spoke to a very apologetic BATFE Agent today who told me a decision will be reached tomorrow and he will call me and send a letter of approval this week.
    I will offer the 1018 plates that you need to use stamped rails with at $55 a set plus actual shipping, no rails, no bottom included.

I will also offer russian type III, Hungarian, North Korean and M70 Yugo plates in 4130 WITH material to make rails and the bottom, also 4130, for $75 plus actual shipping.
    (in other words 1018 is $55+12 for rails=$67 and you would still need the bottom to complete say $2-3 more so the 4130 is a better way to go in my opinion and doesn't really cost more in the end)

What I need is a email to vonzep58@yahoo.com in the following format:

Your name
    what plates you need
    what material
    how many

As this is posted on several sites and people have linked others to it the email will be used as the ONLY contact to order. This will tell me how much steel to order and a standard format will help prevent me from feeling like I am trying to herd cats...

For YUGO M64,
    send the above BUT I need to know how many people want the left side contour as close as I can get it, or if you want it like it is in the build thread on the folder. Once I can guage the #s I can settle a price for these. The material is thicker and needs several extra steps. I'm guessing only $5-10 more to get them closer.

FINALLY I think we can go ahead on this, thank you all for your patience in waiting for the BATFE.
    David

Feedback Score

Hi David,
    I spoke with you on another forum and you said that it was better to reach you here if I recall correctly. Regarding the repair plates I had a few questions that I didn't see answered (though I could be blind ). I have seen by your postings that you are still waiting for BATF to approve the plates as not a firearm receiver but was wondering if you had sent a letter of inquery as to wheather or not they are legal to actually use in a build...if you have, did they address 922(r)? Bottom line question is I'm wondering if the repaired receiver counts as a US made part even though some of the material comes from non-US sources. I would guess that it does count as a US made part but would like to make sure before I build
    Thanks very much for the tutorial it was great and I look forward to restoring my old milled Russian kit one of these days.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The receiver has been destroyed (otherwise you are in possession of an unregistered machine gun), the front stub is not a trunnion it is scrap metal. When you weld in the plates you have probably created a receiver. After the rest is done you have defin. made one. Since there is no trunnion in a milled receiver that is on less part to count. The receiver is a US part. Add a G2 group and you're good as far as parts. (US receiver, trigger, sear and hammer)

Still waiting for that BATFE letter promised a couple weeks ago..........

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    The receiver has been destroyed (otherwise you are in possession of an unregistered machine gun), the front stub is not a trunnion it is scrap metal. When you weld in the plates you have probably created a receiver. After the rest is done you have defin. made one. Since there is no trunnion in a milled receiver that is on less part to count. The receiver is a US part. Add a G2 group and you're good as far as parts. (US receiver, trigger, sear and hammer)

Still waiting for that BATFE letter promised a couple weeks ago..........
    excellent, the "scrap metal"/non-firearm idea was the reasoning that I had used as well just wanted to make sure. Here's looking forward to that ATF letter.

Hey one other question, in the tutorial on page one you mention that you will touch on how to handle thing if the demil process cut through the lightening cuts but I couldn't see that addressed...is it there and I'm just missing it or have you not yet posted that info yet. I'm guessing that the easiest way to restore them would be to borrow some time on a friends milling machine but wasn't sure if there was something else that I was missing as far as pitfalls to watch out for.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Case 42, A friend has a kit cut through the lightening cut, we are going to photograph the build once we get approval. Basically the best way is to mill it out. What I have done id use a dremel and it turned out pretty good but not perfect. Look at the build tutorial and you will see one has been done this way.

Feedback Score

I love this!!! Try as they might to keep us from collecting and shooting these guns, the truly inventive nature of guys like you keep us in the game!

Feedback Score

I'm sure that you would post an update if anything had changed, but have you heard from the ATF yet? my Type 3 kit is dying to be welded upon!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I am waiting a while before I call him back. I know he hasn't forgotten about it so calling him once a week won't do it. Any other ideas?

In the meanwhile I am building entire side plates for a few VZ58 kits. One of them will be cut to accept un modified ak mags. These are too labor intensive for me to compete with the new single stack recievers coming onto the market, so I will prob post the final build dimensions for everyone who has a small mill some time in fall. (oh and if you're thinking of that hybrid receiver....I've seen one... I was scared... and the only post I have seen of one actually built terrifies me from a safety point of view *if what was posted is true*)

Also I have a milled ak in .45 winchester magnum I am finishing up to get ready for hunting season. (I know 7 months away but I can dream) 230 grain slug at 1400fps out of 6" bbl, I'm hoping for 1800+ fps out of a 16", we'll have to see. It will be gas operated.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    I am waiting a while before I call him back. I know he hasn't forgotten about it so calling him once a week won't do it. Any other ideas?

In the meanwhile I am building entire side plates for a few VZ58 kits. One of them will be cut to accept un modified ak mags. These are too labor intensive for me to compete with the new single stack recievers coming onto the market, so I will prob post the final build dimensions for everyone who has a small mill some time in fall. (oh and if you're thinking of that hybrid receiver....I've seen one... I was scared... and the only post I have seen of one actually built terrifies me from a safety point of view *if what was posted is true*)

Also I have a milled ak in .45 winchester magnum I am finishing up to get ready for hunting season. (I know 7 months away but I can dream) 230 grain slug at 1400fps out of 6" bbl, I'm hoping for 1800+ fps out of a 16", we'll have to see. It will be gas operated.
    Sweet! I still hope the Yugo sideplates go though... freakin' bureaucratic BS!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Any update?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.