Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the AMD 65

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice looking AMD Gunnysmith.

Tanvil yes you can use a regular flat and mod it (mainly for the stock area), but you'll have an extra hole on each side of the rear trunion area since the AMD's rear rivets are more up and down rather then front to back. You can see these holes in his pics above.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default HMMMM!

101 peeks and 10 thank yas. gunnysmith didn't make no money off that. He did it to help ya. So don't be afraid ta thank the man.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have been doing this for going on three years and this is the first post that have seen where someone uses center drills/ countersinks. I have always used them as there is nothing better for my building process.
    Gunnysmith, those are some great pics of your building process. Everyone will learn something from your post and pics. Nice builds also.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I originally tried drilling the long rivets all the way through.
    I found it easier to remove them in the method pictured.
    It gives a solid punch point and "draws" the rest of the drilled rivet with it.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils
    Nice looking AMD Gunnysmith.

Tanvil yes you can use a regular flat and mod it (mainly for the stock area), but you'll have an extra hole on each side of the rear trunion area since the AMD's rear rivets are more up and down rather then front to back. You can see these holes in his pics above.
    Thanks, that had me wondering because I havn't seen a specific one advertised.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith
    I originally tried drilling the long rivets all the way through.
    I found it easier to remove them in the method pictured.
    It gives a solid punch point and "draws" the rest of the drilled rivet with it.
    That makes good sense. By doing it that way, maybe this knot and cut on the back of my left hand will finally heal. Everytime that darn punch slips, it gets me good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil
    That makes good sense. By doing it that way, maybe this knot and cut on the back of my left hand will finally heal. Everytime that darn punch slips, it gets me good.
    You notice I don't post the gory pictures, but that's when I started short drilling the long rivets
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default gunnysmith

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith
    You notice I don't post the gory pictures, but that's when I started short drilling the long rivets
    What the hell is the secret to these long rivets? The drilling I got down. I bought AK-builders rivet jig. I bought AGIs rivet punch. I bought a BFH. We builders at my house can't seem to form the long rivet head correctley.
    Is it us or does everyone have a problem with the darn long rivets?
    I'm looking at your setup and we do the same but the darn things are bending before forming the head. What are we doing wrong?
    Yours look What is the secret?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet
    What the hell is the secret to these long rivets? The drilling I got down. I bought AK-builders rivet jig. I bought AGIs rivet punch. I bought a BFH. We builders at my house can't seem to form the long rivet head correctley.
    Is it us or does everyone have a problem with the darn long rivets?
    I'm looking at your setup and we do the same but the darn things are bending before forming the head. What are we doing wrong?
    Yours look What is the secret?
    Plinkers long rivet jig is the best tool for the job.
    Plinkers Jigs
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jjglith
    Plinkers long rivet jig is the best tool for the job.
    Plinkers Jigs
    Thank You. jiglith. E-mail on the way to plinkers. Man that thing looks nice. In defense of Curtis. His rivet jig has saved me hours of work. I love it. Just a problem with those darn long rivets. I'm sure it's the way I'm setting it up. In other words I need all the help I can get to make it easier.
    Oh God. If that Big Brown Box pulls in the driveway one more time I think the guy is gonna move in here and open a sub-station. Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.