Building the AMD 65

46K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  luis6WB 
#1 ·
Building the AMD 65
Here?s my latest build

See less See more
#28 ·
tanvil said:
4th Idvet, I found the missing link!!! I set mine up just as Gunnysmith told ya to. Press it, and SQUEEK, the reciever twists, the rivit bends, the press slips, my beer spills, the pit bull runs out of the shed with his tail between his legs cause i'm cussing out load. Before set-up, Slide the rivits in and measure the tail, some times you have to cut them. I haven't figured out the perfect lenth yet but I think plinker's data said .22( I could be wrong, I need to re-read it). For my last one I cut .22 and they seem to be a little smaller than the factory head, I thought I'd try .24 on the next one. Hope this helps. And Gunnysmith, did you trim yours first?
:fnypost::redchug::lolup: Yeah. You should have seen my buddy yesterday. Sipped a wee bit to much vodka and decided to show me his method of doing the long rivets. :rofl: When I showed him what he did in the morning he almost started crying. Looked like he ran over it with a tank. I made him drill it out and I fixed it for him

#29 ·
Thanks gunny

You had to put that second picture of the plinkers up just to torture me didn't ya. :)
Now I gotta have one. Anyone know a good bankruptcy attorney. Cause if I buy one more kit or one more tool after this plinkers I'm gonna need one.

#30 ·
+1

Coils said:
Thanks Kernel, that's what I thought but wanted to double check.

Tanvil, I don't trim my rivets either, I've been using the ones from AKBuilder.
That's all I use is AK-Builder rivets. They look nice and I don't trim them either. He has all the correct rivets. Even those odd ball ones for the yugo front trunion.

#32 ·
tanvil said:
Ah ha, seems I need to call Curtis. In the meantime can some one measure the tail that sticks out on a correct rivet? I've had to cut up to 3/16 off some of these Tapcos.
3/16? You gotta be kidding. I put my AK down in my room and can't see the damn thing from 10ft. away. :rofl:
All kidding aside. I do a lot of business with tapco and love there products. I'm sure there rivets are fine. But I do like and use AK-builder rivets. Size, apperance, quality, is right on. I think once you get some and use them you will see what I meen.

#36 · (Edited)
:thumbup1:

Thank you, I got a bent flat somewhere that will be a good donor.

Edit to add:
Well I made one Saturday, it didn't come out as nice as yours but it's easy enough I can do another.
Thanks again.

#52 ·
Thanks Gunny for the great Tutorial, been working on the old Blackhawk press to make it work. Wish I had your equipment, hard to explain to the wife why I need a drill press,lathe. etc. etc. for an electrical and ac business. Actually, I have a great wife and doesn't care as long as I can still pay bills. After my ammo orders hope I still can. All my stuff is from AK-Builder, easy guy to talk to and ship is fast, awesome well built jig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.