Building the AMD 65

46K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  luis6WB 
#1 ·
Building the AMD 65
Here?s my latest build

See less See more
#59 ·
Gunnysmith,
Thanks for the info. Very nice finished product.
I'm getting ready to do my first AK build, an AMD65. I'm still looking for a barrel though.
You didn't show pics of how you did the short rivets it the barrel trunion, what's the trick there?

#62 ·
Thanks for this post! I just picked up an AMD65 Kit. I have an Ohio Ordnance reciver for it allready. I can see that Im not to fond of the wire stock. What other options do I have?

If I put in a pistol rear trunnion is it considered a pistol AK?
First to answer the bold parts of your questions. If you have the receiver already and it was registered as a rifle receiver you cannot make it a pistol, if it was registered as only a receiver then you can.

As for your other question about the stock, is the receiver just a standard receiver (without the notch cut in the right side for the folder)? If it doesn't have the notch cut then you can put in a standard stock tang and use a fixed stock.

#67 ·
I built my AMD-65 and found this thread afterwards. Very nice thread.I used AK-Builder parts and tools as much as possible.I did use a Nodak receiver. My AMD went together soooo easy,much easier than my 3 romanian builds. There are 2 different long brakes for the short barreled AMD one is fron cncwarrior which tapers down to barrel size and also has 3 blast jets(holes) to direct the muzzle downwards. The other is from AK-Builder and is straight all the way back (kind of like a car -15 or colt commando) I eventually used the AK-builder brake (i liked the end result looks of the rifle better). I did not use the slot for the rear swivel. I drilled a hole just below the slot and mounted a threaded stud for a detachable sling swivel and it came out fine....GS

#81 ·
Gunny -- even without too many words, some get lost.

This is a good write up. My appreciation.:thankyou:

#83 ·
Are there any step by step instructions for building an AK or AMD online? I bought a book but it wont be in for a couple weeks and I have been googling and watching Youtube videos for weeks and every one skips steps or doesn't show closeups so it hasn't been enough info to complete my build and there was a link to here from the akfiles forum but it was a dead link...just getting frustrated....your AMD looks amazing...

#86 ·
What size is the center drill (same as a counter sink drill), that you used? I'd like to get a few from Mcmaster Carr, if they still carry them...

I like the way you did that de-mill and prep work. Sure takes the guess work out of drilling them rivets out. I hate when they come out oval.

Thanks for a nice tutorial!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.