Saiga .223 trigger, feed ramp, mag catch

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gunnysmith 
#1 ·
My Saiga .223 had a raspy gritty trigger pull after the conversion
So these are the steps I took:
Stone the sear engagement surfaces
Polish surfaces to 800 grit
Reassemble.

The original bullet guide was not working with the new 10 round mags from KVAR.
A redesign was necessary.

Some engineering of the mag catch was necessary to correct differences in the mag latch boss on the back of the magazine.

To be continued????

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn it Gunny. Your the best. Every time I follow your threads I learn something.
Most of the time I don't even know what the hell your doing and I still learn something.
That spring holding tool is way to great. No more sore thumbs.
Keep posting. Keep posting. 4th.

#5 ·
Wow, fantastic thread! I only wish I had access to a shop like yours. I need to add to the mag catch on a M70 that I'm strugling with. It never crossed my mind to add a new peice of steel. I'm not a really great welder and have been putting off adding with weld only for fear that I might shorten it or worse destroy it!
Thanks again for the pics and instructions.

#7 ·
poppop said:
Wow, fantastic thread! I only wish I had access to a shop like yours. I need to add to the mag catch on a M70 that I'm strugling with. It never crossed my mind to add a new peice of steel. I'm not a really great welder and have been putting off adding with weld only for fear that I might shorten it or worse destroy it!
Thanks again for the pics and instructions.
I just increased the angle and gave a slight curve to it, very much like a cam lobe.
The further forward the catch goes, the higher the lift gain.
Then polished with 400 grit jewelers rouge.It's very tight against the mag but releases easily with finger pressure.

BTW the angle was milled after the spot welding, It's solid

#8 ·
muttman said:
gunny,
as with all of your work, out standing. glad to see you figgerd out a way to use the stock saiga and mill. mags in a saiga.
muttman
KVAR had the 10 rounders for $8.99 figured that was cheap.
I got in on the Galil mags before the Galil kits hit the market, $8.00 ea for 30 of them.
Everyone was saying they wouldn't work for other .223's
The basis of the mod was to use the galil mag unmodified being the largest number of mags, then mod the fewest number of mags. 2 original Saigas and the 3 ten rounders from KVAR.
The bullet guide was the key.
The Galil mags have a low feed angle making the bullet guide I had installed too high. The new giude corrected the problem.
A slight mod to the bullet guide of the Yugo 95 was all that was needed to use the galils in it also, so I didn't really ant to mod the mags.

The only mod necessary for the Galil mag, jigged it in the mill and ran all 30 in about 30 mins.

Slight mod of the bullet guide was only necessary when feeding HP bullets.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.