Thread: Barrel pin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Barrel pin

What are you guys using to brace the sight block while pressing to remove the barrel pin? It looks like if I really crank down with the press the sight block my get bent or damaged.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

Never put any pressure on the sight block when pressing out your barrel pin. Your block will get bent very quickly. Support your trunion with a shim above the pin to keep the trunion from rolling.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

blu
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

a backing plate. i was fighting a romy's pin and it finally took the proper ram adapter
    AND the backing plate to hold it level and secure enough. easy one is steel plate with a cut washer the correct thickness to support back side on trunnion at pin, (search threads...) but some folks are able to use hardwood like oak, which conforms to hold trunnion solid.

and straight.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

One way to support it is to take a plate of steel or alluminum and drill a 5/16" hole in it for your pin to press through. The drill and tap a small hole just above the pin hole and insert a set screw that can be adjusted to keep your trunion flat.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

blu
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

mine is from ak builder, and you are correct, redchev. there are two leveling set screws on his for that. the solid plate helps in popping struck barrel pins free.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

well, I clamp the trunnion solidly in the big vise before whacking the pin out with a 1/4" punch. Works every time. I dont get the pressing the pin out thing with a press. One smack with a 2lb sledge and that pin is on its way out period!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have two 1"x3"x12" steel bars that I bought from McMaster Carr or Centaur Forge, or Victor Machinery. I can't remember which. The are more useful than my spot welder when building AKs. I lay them across the press' cross members, and on them I lay the barrel assembly on its side with the gas cylinder release lever up. I put a 5/16" plate beneath the sight block immediately next to the barrel pin. I usually have to shim it 1/8" with a thin piece of Home Depot bar stock.

On top of the barrel pin I put the 1/4" mighty barrel pin punch - made by slicing a screwdriver shank into punches. The punch should be the same diameter (or close) as the barrel pin, and it should be exactly centered on the pin and not leaning in any significant way. I stand to the side protecting the boys, then lower the press ram, and apply pressure until the pin pops free and moves that 1st millimeter. I use progressively longer punches until the pin falls out.

The tricks are to

1) Place your sight block supports as close to the pin as possible without obstructing it.

2) Use the shortest punch you can find to do the initial break-free.

3) Protect the boys. They are more important than any AK.
    * This is My Rifle *

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by chipmechanic
    well, I clamp the trunnion solidly in the big vise before whacking the pin out with a 1/4" punch. Works every time. I dont get the pressing the pin out thing with a press. One smack with a 2lb sledge and that pin is on its way out period!
    I can guarantee you there are exceptions! I would have agreed with you based on my first Yugo build, but when I went to build my Romy, son-of-a-gun was that thing in there! I ended up making a jig to hold a 1/4" dowel pin as a punch to press out the pin. I just used scrap materials as packing to back up the trunnion. Incidentally, the first dowel pin I used bent! I had previously tried knocking on it with a sledge and punch - no go!

GsT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redchevyman
    One way to support it is to take a plate of steel or alluminum and drill a 5/16" hole in it for your pin to press through. The drill and tap a small hole just above the pin hole and insert a set screw that can be adjusted to keep your trunion flat.
    Thanks for the idea. I used a 1/4" steel plate along with the set screws. I added some other screws just to make the line up process easier.

Feedback Score

would some one show some pics of this?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.